'I'm ready': Eddie McGuire's comeback announcement after absence

Sam Goodwin
·Sports Editor
·3-min read
Eddie McGuire, pictured here speaking to the media as he resigns as Collingwood president.
Eddie McGuire speaks to the media as he resigns as Collingwood president. (Photo by Darrian Traynor/Getty Images)

Eddie McGuire will make his commentary comeback for Fox Footy on Saturday in Carlton's clash with Brisbane.

Speaking to the Herald Sun on Wednesday, McGuire said he's refreshed and ready to go after stepping out of the commentary box when he resigned as Collingwood president.

McGuire stepped down from his role in February after a report found systemic racism at Collingwood.

'NEED TO FIX IT': AFL under fire over 'horrific' Anzac Day move

'GOOD TO SEE': AFL world erupts over new Ben Cousins photo

Although he has since returned to TV on Footy Classified, he hasn't resumed his commentary duties with Fox Footy.

But that will change this weekend when he gets back behind the microphone.

“I needed a break, it was a pretty tough time,” the 56-year-old said.

“I also wanted to put a gap between being the Collingwood president and the next time I called a game of footy.

“It’s business as usual now. It is a natural thing for me to be back calling.

“I eased my way back in through Footy Classified. Now I’m ready to start calling again and I will get back to hosting (on Fox Footy) in the next couple of weeks.”

Collingwood appoint new president

Also on Wednesday, Collingwood appointed Mark Korda as the club's new president.

Korda had been acting as co-president with fellow director Peter Murphy since McGuire resigned on February 9.

"I take on this role with the strong belief that we have ... a wonderful legacy, a strength and spirit with which we must seek to do and be better," Korda said in a statement on Wednesday night.

"We have challenges but great people and passion to meet them."

McGuire quit the presidency, which he held since 1998, after a report titled 'Do Better', into claims of racism at the club from ex-players including Heritier Lumbumba.

The report highlighted systemic problems with the club's processes in reacting to incidents of racism.

McGuire was under intense pressure to quit when the report was leaked to the media on February 1.

The high-profile commentator and television identity initially refused to step down.

An open letter calling on the club to sack McGuire circulated, signed by senior Indigenous figures among others.

Eddie McGuire, pictured here speaking to the media at Collingwood headquarters.
Eddie McGuire speaks to the media at Collingwood headquarters. (Photo by Mackenzie Sweetnam/Getty Images)

McGuire apologises for reaction to racism report

McGuire, who had been due to relinquish the presidency at the end of this year, initially claimed the report's release was "a proud day" for the Magpies.

The 56-year-old later conceded his wording was inappropriate but was defiant to the end, praising Collingwood's support for Indigenous Australians and emphasising the report reflected the club's commitment to improving.

"This is why I say we are not a racist club. Far from it," McGuire said when resigning on February 9.

"The report says, 'That the Collingwood Football Club commissioned an independent review of its process of dealing with racism reflects the realisation within the club that something fundamental needs to change.

"It needs to be noted and underlined that in undertaking this review, the club was unflinching in holding a mirror to itself.

"It was a brave first step that few would have the courage to take and shows the seriousness with which the club takes this issue'."

with AAP

Watch 'Mind Games', the new series from Yahoo Sport Australia exploring the often brutal mental toil elite athletes go through in pursuit of greatness:

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.