Channel 7 reporter Abbey Way has taken aim at online trolls again after copping backlash for an innocuous comment about AFL star Nat Fyfe.
Earlier this month Way became the unfair target of online trolls after posting a crown emoji on a photo of Fremantle captain Fyfe on a Channel 7 AFL post praising the Brownlow Medalist.
‘NO SENSE’: Eddie McGuire slammed over ‘ridiculous’ call
'DIFFICULT SITUATION': New details in Jack Steven stabbing
After some nasty comments from fans, Way put them in their place.
“Sadly you get used to it and I will rarely say anything to be totally honest because you have to pick your battles,” she told The Daily Telegraph about the nasty treatment over the weekend.
“But when it's meant to be offensive, I am more than happy to stand up for myself.
“Girls of every age need to know you can be into sport and admire athletes for their athleticism and that's all it is.”
Way is a huge Fremantle fan and loves watching the skipper in action.
However things turned nasty when fans slammed Way for commenting on the Fyfe photo.
“Lady wants a Fyfe,” one user commented, tagging four friends.
Another user said: “This bitty deleted my comment,” adding “got a blue tick and she tryna censor me.' “
“Welcome to China,” another replied.
However Way was having none of it, firing back at the trolls.
“I usually leave this but I don’t want a bar of it today,” she replied.
“‘Lady’ is a sports journo at the network that made this post AND a Freo supporter. Grow up.”
Way, a 29-year-old reporter who made a name for herself working on the racing and cricket, was set to work on 7’s coverage of the AFL before the season was suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.
AFL to unveil revamped 2020 draw
AFL fans will be given clarity on the 2020 season restart on Monday with the league poised to confirm multiple blockbusters in the first week back.
Victorian heavyweights Richmond and Collingwood will kick-start the stalled season on June 11, followed by a clash between arch-rivals Geelong and Hawthorn the following night.
The Showdown in South Australia is reportedly set to be played in the prime Saturday night slot on June 13.
Queensland hub-bound West Coast and Fremantle are slated to take on Gold Coast and Brisbane respectively, while round-one losers Carlton and Melbourne lock horns in a crunch clash.
Sunday will reportedly feature GWS-North Melbourne, Sydney-Essendon and St Kilda-Western Bulldogs meetings.
The new schedule of matches will likely be released in four-week blocks, allowing the AFL flexibility to adapt to changing coronavirus restrictions later in the year.
The restart to competition follows weeks of negotiations between the AFL, its clubs, state governments and relevant health authorities.
Geelong are set to be unveiled as big winners, successful in their bid to play all matches at their Kardinia Park fortress.