2011 - breakout for Ambrose?

ForumsMotorsports & Bikes2011 - breakout for Ambrose?
Page 1 of 1
    Sort By:
    Newest First
    Oldest First
    ScottyJay
    19 Apr 2009

Sign in to report this post.

Posted Tue 22 Mar 2011 12:41
    Ok, the NASCAR Sprint Cup has been on for 4 races now, and so far its been the usual mixed bag of winners.  Marcos Ambrose made the switch in the off season to Richard Petty Racing, despite the financial cloud that was hanging over the team at the season's start.

And it seems to me the switch from JTG Dougherty Toyota to RPM Ford has re-energized the Aussie.  After a forgettable Daytona 500 (37th), he was 16th in Phoenix, 4th in Las Vegas and 15th last week at Bristol, placing him 18th overall in the Cup standings and ahead of a lot of fancied drivers.

So, do you think this could be the year of Ambrose' first Sprint Cup victory?  Sure, he's won in the Nationwide Series on the road circuits, and he's got every chance to do that again this year, but an oval victory is what he's really craving.
    Rusty nails
    03 May 2009

Posted Tue 22 Mar 2011 22:16
    I think he will scotty, the Fords are going well at the moment and if not on an oval I think he will win on a street circuit, either way he's got the best chance yet of winning one.

Why have they sent the last two Nascar posts to the bin ?
    ScottyJay
    19 Apr 2009

Posted Wed 23 Mar 2011 15:56
    This is the second time I've tried to post this thread.  The other one never showed up.  I thought this one was busted because Yahoo wouldn't let me in, but, thankfully, it seems to work.

I reckon Marcos will win in Infinion, he was sooooo close last year, only a silly mistake cost him certain victory there.  And, if the go the Watkins Glen this year, he should win there, too.  The last time the Sprint Cup cars were there, a mechanical glitch got in the way of his victory.  But he really, really wants to succeed on the oval tracks.  California is a shallow-banked 2 mile oval, so he may go well here.
    Rusty nails
    03 May 2009

Posted Wed 23 Mar 2011 23:02
    Fingers crossed for every race, I'm hoping one HD start showing Nascar races at a more reasonable timeslot like they did last year, even if it was only a highlights package.
    T.Kelly22
    15 Jun 2009

Posted Sat 26 Mar 2011 11:07
    He was able to hold off Busch and Earnheart Jnr for like 15 laps at bristol last week, and yet as soon as the caution came, he wasn't able to make any positions, he has the pace, just needs more consistency
    Rusty nails
    03 May 2009

Posted Mon 28 Mar 2011 21:37

Marcos Ambrose is calling for his Australian fans to cast a vote to enable him to make the field in the Nascar all stars race coming up in May. Unless he wins a race before then the only way he can enter is to be voted in by the fans, votes can be cast at nascar.com
    ScottyJay
    19 Apr 2009

Posted Tue 29 Mar 2011 08:34
    He's going to need all the votes he can get - he doesn't look good to win on an oval, unfortunately.  He finished 2 laps down in 28th position.  Dunno why he was so slow, he qualified 14th, and I thought the shallow banking would suit him more.  Guess I was wrong.
    ScottyJay
    19 Apr 2009

Posted Fri 24 Jun 2011 08:19
    Hey, everyone - the first road-race of the season is this weekend, at Sonoma, California.  This is the track Ambrose was leading comfortably up to the last yellow flag before he stopped the engine trying to save fuel, and couldn't re-start it again.  Well, this year he's in a strong car, he's recognised as one of the best road-racers in the field, and he's looking to make ammends. 

The race starts in the wee small hours of Monday morning, can hardly wait!  It will be so good to see an Aussie in victory lane in America's most popular motorsport!
    Rusty nails
    03 May 2009

Posted Fri 24 Jun 2011 22:57

Love the nascar road races, more entertaining than v8 supercar racing I really hope Marcos can win this one he seems to be the favourite but nothing's certain in motor racing so we'll just have to wait and see.
    ScottyJay
    19 Apr 2009

Posted Sun 26 Jun 2011 19:42
    Ambrose qualified 8th - 110 laps, so plenty of time to get up front.
    ScottyJay
    19 Apr 2009

Posted Tue 28 Jun 2011 07:40
    Unfortunately, no break-out win for Ambrose - but 5th place was decent.  I just wish he stayed out during the last yellow flag instead of coming in, to preserve his track position.  It would have been interesting to see how he would have gone.

One more road race this year, at Watkins Glen.
    Rusty nails
    03 May 2009

Posted Tue 28 Jun 2011 16:53
    Yeah a little dissapointing, although I only saw the last half of the race I dont think Marcos looked like winning at any stage really, he did get to second place briefly but didnt look to have the outright speed to win but thats how it goes, move on to the next one.

I havnt seen any interviews with him since the race so I dont know why he wasnt as strong as last year, maybe if he had of taken only two tyres on the last stop he could've won 
    ScottyJay
    19 Apr 2009

Posted Tue 28 Jun 2011 19:58
    I saw the whole race, Rusty, Kurt Busch was untouchable.  I thought if Ambrose stayed out he would have been second or third, he was always strong at the end of the fuel runs.  Take nothing away from Busch, he had the wood on everybody.

Montoya provided plenty of entertainment towards the end, eh?  Four cars he pushed out of the way?  Until Kesa turned him around in retaliation!  Thats what we need here, more of the "boy's, have at it" attitude to settle scores.
    Rusty nails
    03 May 2009

Posted Fri 01 Jul 2011 13:50

Yep plenty of action in a nascar road race, I like the way the drivers dish out their own penalties on the track, most of the time but there are times when blatant stupidity and poor driving takes over like when with a couple of laps to go driver A may have been running in the top 3 all day when driver B can suddenly punt him off the track for no apparent reason except to get passed and take his spot with no penalty from the stewards, then he's gotta watch out in the next race coz driver A will be out to square things up, so at the end of the day penalties are dished out but unfair to driver A who loses a lot of points for originally running his own race.

Rusty nails
    03 May 2009

Posted Fri 01 Jul 2011 13:53

Marcos Ambrose fastest in practice for Daytona with his team mate A.J second, it's looking good for them so far, c'mon Marcos the first win is so close.
    ScottyJay
    19 Apr 2009

Posted Sat 02 Jul 2011 19:46
    Qualified 15th, but the super speedway's offer plenty of time and opportunity to get to the front, so nothing to worry about.  Lets hope this is The One!
    ScottyJay
    19 Apr 2009

Posted Sun 03 Jul 2011 20:09
    Oh, well, there's alway's next week in this series!

A last-lap pile-up involving Ambrose and quite a few others put him in sixteenth position at the end.
    Rusty nails
    03 May 2009

Posted Mon 04 Jul 2011 19:33

Marcos got lucky at the end, considering he was 31st or 32nd and 1 lap down with 5 laps to go, then he gets taken out on the last lap 16th place aint too bad. He more than likely would've finished behind his teammate in 10th if not for the crash.
    mattack
    28 Mar 2010

Posted Tue 16 Aug 2011 10:34
    Great result for Marcos, getting his first win in A main. Well done Marcos and hopefully an oval track win is not far away.
    ScottyJay
    19 Apr 2009

Posted Thu 18 Aug 2011 08:10
    Great race by Ambrose, that's the first NASCAR goal of his achieved!  You're right, mattack, that first oval win cannot be too far away now!  Who knows, if he can ride his confidence to one of the shorter tracks he does ok at (like Bristol, for example), he may even make the chase.
    Rusty nails
    03 May 2009

Posted Sat 20 Aug 2011 18:51
    Yeah great job by Marcos to finally crack his first sprint cup win we knew he was gonna do it at some stage, and really good for his team boss, the great Richard Petty to be in victory lane once again, not sure when that team last won a race.
    Rusty nails
    03 May 2009

Posted Sun 21 Aug 2011 21:15

Marcos wins again in Montreal in the Nationwide race
    ScottyJay
    19 Apr 2009

Posted Thu 25 Aug 2011 08:09
    I finally saw the race in Montreal - thank goodness for yellow flags, eh?  After JV punted him off the road (and Marcos exercised his "get square" option later that lap), I thought he was no chance to win.  He really knows how to drive these cars around road tracks, he's just got to get his head around the ovals.  He's showing improvement, he was up there at Michigan, but the final tweak was the wrong choice and he slipped back to 21st or something.
    ScottyJay
    19 Apr 2009

Posted Wed 19 Oct 2011 17:34
    The last 3 races have resulted in 3 top ten finishes, included a fifth placing last week.  With only five more races to go, do you think Marcos may be able to breakthrough with his first oval victory?
    Rusty nails
    03 May 2009

Posted Sat 22 Oct 2011 20:50

Inevitably he will Scotty but I dont think it will happen this year, sure hope I'm wrong
      ForumsMotorsports & Bikes2011 - breakout for Ambrose?
      Sign in to post and view your settings
      New User? Sign up

Latest

Top Rated

Most Discussed