- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Alexander Zverev has welcomed an ATP investigation into allegations of domestic abuse against him, saying it was about time.
World No.4 Zverev's ex-girlfriend Olga Sharypova said in an interview with online magazine Slate on August 25 that the German was emotionally and physically abusive to her during their relationship.
The ATP had faced increasing criticism for failing to examine the allegations until the men's tennis governing body announced on Monday it was conducting an investigation.
The Olympic gold medallist has repeatedly denied the allegations and now hopes an ATP investigation will clear his name.
"Bloody (time) finally to be honest," said Zverev, during his news conference before the ATP Masters 1000 event in Indian Wells, California.
"I have been asking them myself for months now.
"I have been asking them to do that since London last year because it is very hard for me to clear my name.
"Only with something like this I can.
"It has been around for a year and there is not much more I can do to clear my name and I hope this will finally do it."
The 24-year-old has "categorically and unequivocally" denied having abused Sharypova and said on August 27 that his lawyers had initiated legal action against the author of the allegations.
Slate issued a statement saying it stood by its "fair and accurate reporting".
"I have been in court in Germany which I won the case against the author and the publications which the author is ignoring right now," Zverev said.
"I have proven I am innocent in a lot of different ways.
"I think with this investigation that is now finally happening I hope this can be done and dusted from a third individual party and we can move on with everything else."
Zverev said the entire affair has not only been a distraction for him but the entire sport.
On the court, however, Zverev has managed to remain focused and is enjoying one of the best seasons of his young career, winning an Olympic gold medal and two Masters Series events.