Worker’s heroic attempt to stop robbery

Service station alleged thief. Picture Nine.JPG
CCTV shows moment servo worker fends off alleged thief. Picture: Nine

Surveillance footage has revealed the heroic efforts of a service station worker who tried to shut the door on an alleged knife-wielding thief in Sydney’s east.

About 10.30pm on Monday, police received a report of an armed robbery at a convenience store on Perouse Road in Randwick in eastern Sydney.

Moments later, police received a report of an armed robbery at a second service station down the road from the first one.

CCTV captures the moment the alleged robber enters the EzyMart before threatening the shop attendant with the knife, police allege.

The attendant, Shabaz Khan, detailed the moment to 9 News as the man allegedly approached him with a knife at his side.

Service station alleged thief. Picture Nine.JPG
CCTV of moment service station escapes alleged thief in Randwick. Picture: Supplied / Channel 9

The video shows Mr Khan hovering his hand over the knife as he skirts around the alleged thief so he can get out the front door.

The man then allegedly begins ransacking the store and with his back turned, Mr Khan attempts to slam the sliding front door shut to lock him inside.

The alleged thief walks back towards Mr Khan before a metal chair is thrown at him.

In the footage, he is allegedly seen returning to the store, scraping a pile of phone accessories from the wall, before collecting a few snacks at the front counter.

He then allegedly pushes the remaining contents on the counter to the ground, before returning to grab a couple of Prime energy drinks.

Service station alleged thief. Picture Nine.JPG
A chair was thrown at the thief. Picture: Supplied / Channel 9

Police allege he had already stolen cigarettes and a sum of cash from Randwick BP on the same road.

No-one was injured.

Later that night, police officers, with the assistance of the dog unit, arrested a 25-year-old man at the intersection of Soudan and St Paul Street in Randwick.

He was taken to Maroubra Police Station and charged with two counts of robbery armed with offensive weapon.

He appeared before Waverley Local Court on Tuesday and was given conditional bail to appear before the Downing Centre Local Court on November 2.