Woods out of US Open, aims for St Andrews

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·1-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Tiger Woods has been forced to accept the toll taken by the injuries suffered while crashing his car early last year will not yet allow him to compete in a four-day major.

After having to withdraw after three rounds of last month's US PGA Championship the 46-year-old has said he will not play in next week's US Open at Brookline.

However, he still plans to compete at the 150th Open Championship at St Andrews next month. He has twice won the Open at the Old Course.

"I previously informed the USGA that I will not be competing in the US Open as my body needs more time to get stronger for major championship golf," Woods said on Twitter.

"I do hope and plan to be ready to play in Ireland at JP McManus Pro-AM and at The Open next month. I'm excited to get back out there soon!"

Woods did complete four rounds at the Masters in April, but shot 78 on both the third and fourth days.

In Tulsa the 15-time major winner was clearly struggling with the pain in his right leg.

Woods fought back from an opening 74 to shoot a second round of 69 and make the cut with a shot to spare, but then laboured to a 79 on Saturday, his worst score ever in the US PGA.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting