Wimbledon capacity allowed from quarters

·2-min read

Capacity crowds will be allowed at Wimbledon's two biggest courts from the quarter-finals through to the end of the tournament with COVID-19 attendance restrictions set to be relaxed at the All England Club.

Attendances had been capped at 50 per cent at Centre Court and No.1 Court since the start of the grand slam last Monday.

But the All England Club said full crowds would be allowed from the quarter-finals starting on Tuesday with government approval after "the successful staging of the first week of The Championships".

Wimbledon is being used as a pilot event for the safe return of crowds as part of the government's Events Research Programme.

It marks the first time outdoor stadiums will be at full capacity at a sporting event in Britain since the COVID-19 pandemic shut down sports in the country in March 2020.

Wimbledon was cancelled last year because of the pandemic, the first time in 75 years that the oldest grand slam was not held.

After Monday's fourth round matches, the quarter-finals are scheduled to begin on Tuesday for the women and Wednesday for the men.

Semi-finals follow, with the women's final to be held next Saturday and the men's decider on July 11.

Before the tournament began, the club had said it would be able to allow full crowds only for the two singles finals.

Centre Court can hold 14,979 people, and No.1 Court's capacity is 12,345.

The number of fans allowed around the rest of the site "will be reduced according to the number of courts in play," the club said.

Spectators still need to show proof that they have passed a test within the preceding 48 hours or are fully vaccinated when they arrive at the tournament each day.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting