Whincup still to decide Supercars future

Laine Clark
Jamie Whincup is weighing up his options for the upcoming Supercars season

Seven-time Supercars series champion Jamie Whincup says he will soon decide on his future as he prepares for what may be his final season as a full-time driver.

The 36-year-old Holden star said he was as motivated as ever ahead of his 17th Supercars campaign after the 2020 season launch in Sydney on Tuesday.

And he backed himself to be a title threat this season which will feature a new technical package for cars with revised aerodynamics to address parity concerns after Ford gun Scott McLaughlin's 2019 dominance.

But the off contract Red Bull Racing driver said he still had not decided whether to extend his remarkable career beyond 2020.

"I will make the call in the next month or so and go from there," Whincup told AAP.

"I will go through it all and see who is going to be the best person for Red Bull in 2021."

Whincup appeared to be planning for life after full-time racing when he was recently voted onto the Supercars commission for a two-year tenure and also bought a 15 per cent stake in Triple Eight Race Engineering in 2018.

Whincup said he did not want to stand in the way of a rising star but the veteran's recent results indicate he is not showing any signs of slowing down on the track.

Despite McLaughlin sealing back-to-back titles with a record 18 race wins, Whincup finished 2019 in stronger form by claiming three of the last four victories of the season to finish third overall in the standings.

Asked if he could vie for a record eighth title in 2020, Whincup said: "I believe so but we just have to go through everything and see what the best option is (for 2021).

"We had a slow start for one reason or another (last year) but we felt we were as competitive as anyone by the end of the year as a team.

"What happens this year will come down to who has worked the hardest over the last three months."

Whincup hoped to launch yet another title tilt at the season opening Adelaide 500 from February 20.

"We had a great break, recharged the batteries and am ready to go for another big season," he said.

The 2020 season features calendar tweaks with South Australia's The Bend replacing Sandown as the opening enduro, the New Zealand stop will be at Hampton Downs not Pukekohe while night racing returns to Sydney.