Warriors keen to add depth after CHT blow

·2-min read

Wanted. One NRL-ready utility player.

That's the desire of Warriors coach Nathan Brown following the news earlier this week that young half Chanel Harris-Tavita will spend the next 12 weeks on the sidelines.

The 21-year-old has undergone surgery after suffering a stress fracture in his left foot during last Friday's loss to Newcastle in Gosford.

With the versatile Karl Lawton having been released to join Manly earlier this month, Brown acknowledges his team is skinny when it comes to playmaking options.

While they have the desire to secure an extra player, Brown says the club is finding the market tough at this stage.

"Unfortunately there's one or two that we were interested in but the clubs they're at wouldn't want them to go because of similar situations to ourselves," Brown said.

"Manly's very short, the Roosters have got a few problems themselves.

"There's a number of clubs out there that are just sort of hanging on by the skin of their teeth in the hooking department.

"We're quite hopeful that once you get to round six or seven there's always players at clubs that aren't playing ... we're hopeful someone might come up then."

Brown also quickly rebuked any suggestion the club would look at signing former Brisbane, Cronulla and North Queensland player James Segeyaro to fill that void.

The former Papuan New Guinean international's doping ban ends in June but Brown said the 30-year-old wasn't an option.

"It's been a long time since he's played," Brown said.

"We'd certainly try to bring someone in who is ready to play."

Brown was also unaware of reports claiming youngster Reece Walsh was seeking a release from Brisbane to join the Warriors ahead of his already arranged move at the end of the year.