Warrington end Catalans' unbeaten home run

George Williams
George Williams scored the first try for Warrington, who have now won nine of 12 Super League games this season [Getty Images]

Betfred Super League

Catalans (2) 8

Tries: Davies Goals: Mourgue 2

Warrington (2) 16

Tries: Williams, Ashton Goals: Thewlis 4

Warrington Wolves climbed level on points with St Helens at the top of Super League after victory over Catalans Dragons at Stade Gilbert Brutus.

Defences were on top throughout, but tries from George Williams and Matty Ashton proved crucial to ending Catalans' unbeaten home league record this season.

Josh Thewlis' quality with the boot was also key, as he kicked three penalties and one conversion from two.

Tom Davies' late try kept Catalans competitive, but Warrington held on for a fourth straight win in all competitions.

It was a cagey opening but the game sprang to life when Thewlis broke free and ran 60 yards only to be denied by Davies' professional foul, winning a penalty.

Davies probably saved four points, but was sent to the sin-bin for his troubles before Thewlis successfully kicked for two, albeit off the post.

Dragons levelled on the half-hour with a penalty of their own. Lachlan Fitzgibbon was sent to the bin for a high tackle and Arthur Mourgue kicked between the posts.

Three minutes after half-time, Warrington struck the first serious blow when Williams forced his way over the line after Thewlis, who converted, broke forward and set up a goalline drop out.

A superb challenge on the line from Matty Nicholson was enough to deny Catalans an instant response, with the video referee deciding Arthur Romano had not touched down after a scramble on the line.

Thewlis extended the lead to 10-2 with a penalty from close range before the hour, taking the game away from Catalans, who suddenly needed to score two tries to win.

Ashton appeared to clinch the win for Warrington when he spotted a gap and crossed in the left corner, but Thewlis' missed conversion left the door open.

Davies' try, converted by Mourgue, ramped up the tension, but Thewlis made sure of the success with a final penalty.

Catalans: Mourgue; Davies, Romano, Ikuvalu, Johnstone; Abdull, Fages; Navarrete, Da Costa, Bousquet, Sims, Sironen, Garcia.

Interchanges: Nikorima, Seguier, Satae, Dezaria.

Sin-bin: Davies (17)

Warrington: Dufty; Thewlis, King, Tai, Ashton; Williams, Drinkwater; Harrison, Walker, Vaughan, Nicholson, Fitzgibbon, Currie.

Interchanges: Powell, Musgrove, Philbin, Wood.

Sin-bin: Fitzgibbon (31)

Referee: Chris Kendall.