Advertisement

Warning over Prime energy drinks after primary school child has stomach pumped

Prime energy drinks is the brand owned by YouTubers KSI and Logan Paul (Amazon)
Prime energy drinks is the brand owned by YouTubers KSI and Logan Paul (Amazon)

A school student has suffered a “cardiac episode” after drinking a Prime energy drink, a school has reported.

On Tuesday Milton Primary School in Newport, Wales sent out a text message to parents after reports from a parent that their child needed to have their stomach pumped after consuming the drink.

The cult energy drink reportedly contains 140mg of caffeine.

What are Prime energy drinks?

Prime energy drinks is the brand owned by YouTubers KSI and Logan Paul.

The cult energy drink costs £1.99, and kids everywhere have become obsessed with it.

There are two versions available - Prime Hydration is caffeine-free, sold in a bottle and comes in flavours including Orange, Grape and Ice Pop.

Prime Energy is sold in a can, with flavours including Orange Mango and Strawberry Watermelon, and it contains high levels of caffeine.

Some experts believe the beverage’s high caffeine content - which is twice as much as its rival Red Bull - could lead to a rapid heart rate, poor sleep and anxiety.

Typically, a caffeinated soft drink contains just 30 to 40mg of caffeine, and an 8oz cup of coffee has between 80 and 100mg. But Prime energy has 140mg of caffeine.

According to the official website, Prime Energy is not recommended for children under the age of 18, which is stated on the labels of Prime Energy drinks.

Speaking to The Mirror in January, Dr Deborah Lee from Dr Fox Online Pharmacy said: “I would not recommend children drink Prime energy drinks or other energy drinks for children of any age.

“Children don’t need energy drinks anyway – they have plenty of energy. If your child is lacking in energy take them to see their GP – do not give them an energy drink.”

What happened to the primary school child?

The school’s management wanted to make parents aware of the incident, despite it not happening in school.

The message from the school read: “This morning a parent has reported that their child has had a cardiac episode over the weekend after drinking a Prime energy drink.

“The child had to have their stomach pumped and although better now the parent wanted us to share this as a reminder of the potential harmful effects.”