Warner still sidelined, NSW recall Cummins

·2-min read

Test opener David Warner will miss another game for NSW as he continues to recover from a groin strain.

Warner returned from his restrictive injury to play Australia's final two Tests against India, but was not 100 per cent fit.

The damaging batsman sat out last week's one-day and Sheffield Shield matches between the NSW and Victoria.

And Warner has been left out of the Blues' squad for their Shield match against Victoria, which starts on Thursday at Sydney's Bankstown Oval.

The 34-year-old is still rehabilitating from the injury but could be cleared to travel to Adelaide next week, when NSW face South Australia at Adelaide Oval.

Meanwhile, Test paceman Josh Hazlewood has been rested by the Blues.

NSW have made just the one change to the Shield squad that suffered a four-wicket loss at the SCG, replacing Hazlewood with national vice-captain Pat Cummins.

It will be Cummins' first red-ball match since being named man of the series after the Gabba Test.

"We mapped out a plan for Josh and with quick games, back to back, we have given him this game off," NSW coach Phil Jaques said.

"But he will play our third game in this stretch of matches.

"It's a busy season and we have to manage all of our players, especially the quick bowlers, so we have them all firing towards the back end of the season."

Victoria have remained in Sydney after being asked to play this week's 'home' game at Bankstown Oval, rather than the MCG, because of border closures.

"It would have been nice to go back, but to keep the competition going and make sure everyone can keep the schedule as planned, we're pretty happy to stay up here," Victoria captain Peter Handscomb said last week.

"We were quite lucky to play (last week's game, having travelled up during Victoria's lockdown)."