Wallabies player Kurtley Beale arrested over alleged sexual assault

Wallabies and Waratahs playmaker Kurtley Beale was arrested over allegations of sexual assault in December last year.

Wallabies player Kurtley Beale is pictured during a training session.
Wallabies player Kurtley Beale has been arrested over an alleged sexual assault in Sydney. (Photo by Chris Hyde/Getty Images)

Rugby union star Kurtley Beale has been arrested over an alleged sexual assault. The 34-year-old Wallabies winger was taken into custody by police on Friday over an alleged incident in Sydney's east on December 17 last year.

Police received a report that a 28-year-old woman was sexually assaulted at a licensed premises on Beach Road, Bondi Beach.

TAKING ACTION: How Eddie Jones is already winning rugby's stoush with the NRL

SHOCK TWIST: Israel Folau's former Wallabies teammate in explosive 'gag' claim

'IT WAS HARD': Michael Hooper breaks silence on struggles amid Wallabies return

"Detectives from Eastern Suburbs Police Area Command took carriage of the matter and commenced an investigation under Strike Force Titheradge," police said in a statement.

Beale was arrested in a vehicle stop on Rainbow Street, Kingsford, just before 2.30pm on Friday. He was taken to Waverley Police Station for questioning.

Kurtley Beale, pictured here at a Wallabies training session on the Gold Coast.
Kurtley Beale at a Wallabies training session on the Gold Coast. (Photo by Chris Hyde/Getty Images)

Kurtley Beale recently took part in Wallabies camp on Gold Coast

Beale took part in a 44-man Wallabies training camp on the Gold Coast last week and has appeared in close to 100 international Test matches for the side. He recently returned to Australia after several years spent playing in France ahead of the Super Rugby season for the NSW Waratahs.

Beale, from NSW, has spent most of his more than decade-long career with the Waratahs, aside from a brief spell with the Melbourne Rebels.

Rugby Australia, the NSW Waratahs and Rugby Union Players Association (RUPA) said in a joint statement they were aware of the situation regarding Beale. "As this is a police matter, and we understand there has been no charge made, we will be making no further comment at this time," the statement said.

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.