Virus cancels Olympic shooting test event

The Tokyo Olympics shooting test event scheduled for next month has been cancelled because of the ongoing concerns with coronavirus.

Shooting Australia said it supported the decision to cancel the April 16-26 event as it was a fair outcome for all.

"The health of athletes and global communities is the number one priority," Shooting Australia high performance director Adam Sachs said.

"The cancellation affects all nations equally.

"It is the right call by Tokyo Games organisers to ensure that all nations will be on the same fair and equal footing come Games time.

"No country will be advantaged by competing at the shooting range prior to the Olympics."

Sachs said Shooting Australia was revising its pre-Games preparations, including off-shore competitions but 15 Olympic athlete quota spots had already been secured.

Three of the four nomination events in all disciplines have been completed and the remaining event will be held at the Sydney International Shooting Centre between March 20-22.

The Australian team is scheduled to be announced on March 31.