U.S. Soccer president Carlos Cordeiro announced his resignation Thursday in the wake of a misogynistic legal argument filed by the organization in its equal pay battle with the United States women’s national team.
Essentially, the federation argued that women have less “ability” than men at soccer and should therefore be paid less. Calling the argument “unacceptable and inexcusable,” Cordeiro said he did not properly review the filing before its submission.
U.S. Soccer vice president Cindy Parlow Cone will replace Cordeiro as president.
It has been an incredible privilege to serve as the President of U.S. Soccer.— Carlos Cordeiro (@CACSoccer) March 13, 2020
My one and only mission has always been to do what is best for our Federation.
After discussions with the Board of Directors, I have decided to step down, effective immediately. My full statement: pic.twitter.com/4B7siuIqcL
Molly Levinson, a spokeswoman for the USWNT, responded strongly to the news:
Incredibly enough, Cordeiro had reportedly not even told the U.S. Soccer communications staff that he was announcing his resignation, according to the Associated Press.
Heavy blowback for U.S. Soccer’s misstep against USWNT
Cordeiro had previously apologized for the filing Wednesday evening, lamenting “the offense and pain caused by language in this week's court filing” and pledging to alter the federation’s legal strategy.
On the same day, the USWNT appeared to respond to the filing by taking the field at the SheBelieves Cup with their warm-up jerseys inside out, an apparent rebuke of the U.S. Soccer logo.
Some high-profile former members of the team were more explicit in their condemnation.
2) I think that Carlos should resign and there should be a lengthy process of reorganization at @ussoccer— Heather O'Reilly (@HeatherOReilly) March 12, 2020
Additionally, a number of U.S. Soccer sponsors released statements backing the players, including The Coca-Cola Co., Anheuser Busch Cos. Inc., The Procter & Gamble Co. and Volkswagen Group.
More from Yahoo Sports: