Urgent recall on common household item
A recall has been issued for a brand of button battery over fears it could cause choking, burns, or even death.
The Panasonic CR2016 Lithium coin battery 3V was sold nationally, both in stores and online, between June and April.
The packaging of affected products doesn’t contain a warning label on the back.
“Swallowing can lead to chemical burns, perforation of soft tissue, and death,” reads the warning that should be on the packaging.
“Severe burns can occur within two hours of ingestion. Seek medical attention immediately.”
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), who handles product safety recalls, said the warning is “required for products containing button/coin batteries.”
“Consumers should immediately stop using the battery and keep it out of reach of children,” reads their recall notice.
“Return the product to the place of purchase for a full refund or replacement.”
The batteries were mostly sold at Foodworks and SPAR convenience stores, among others.
For more information, consumers can contact Alpen Products on 02 9931 7600 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.