Triple taekwondo Olympian wins CAS appeal

·1-min read

Triple Olympian Carmen Marton has claimed a partial victory in her appeal against being overlooked for Australia's taekwondo team for the Tokyo Games.

But Marton's bid to compete at her fourth Olympics again rests with Australian Taekwondo selectors, who have twice before chosen another athlete.

Marton won her appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) after being overlooked for the women's 57kg category for the looming Olympics.

But CAS declined to award her a position on the Tokyo team ahead of Stacey Hymer, who was selected by Australian Taekwondo ahead of Marton.

Instead, CAS referred Marton's appeal back to Australian Taekwondo selectors - the third time they will make a ruling on her bid.

"Because the case is ongoing, it's very difficult for us to comment," Australian Taekwondo chief executive Heather Garriock told AAP on Friday.

But Garriock noted Marton was an "exceptional athlete", while stressing proper selection processes had been followed.

She said a final decision must be made as soon as possible, with the Australian Olympic Committee's selection deadline of July 2

Marton's solicitor Hayder Shkara said the 34-year-old athlete remained hopeful of a last-gasp reprieve.

"It goes back to the selectors ... this will be third time they have considered it so hopefully the decision changes but we're waiting to see, holding our breath," Shkara told AAP.

"It's a whole another fight that has to be going on in the background along with her preparation.

"She is preparing mentally and physically for the Games as well, but on top of that she has got this other fight which is the legal battle."