Thunderbirds fly to second spot after thumping Mavs

The Adelaide Thunderbirds have leapt to second position on the Super Netball ladder after riding a defensive masterclass to a clinical 67-41 trouncing of the Melbourne Mavericks.

The Thunderbirds were challenged early on Saturday night before dominating 52-27 from quarter-time onwards to maintain their unbeaten record at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre and push their championship defence into overdrive.

Recently rewarded with her maiden Diamonds selection, Georgie Horjus starred across three terms at wing attack, before moving into the circle and drilling five fourth-quarter goals.

At the other end, Adelaide's gun Jamaican defenders Shamera Sterling-Humphrey and Latanya Wilson combined for 12 deflections and seven intercepts, suffocating the Mavs into coughing up 30 turnovers.

"We're really happy with what we did out there," Horjus said.

"We're really lucky to have 10 (players) who can be out there.

"It doesn't matter who's on the court, everyone's ready to come on and do their work.

"We're really lucky to have that.

"The first quarter I was a bit dodgy with the ball, so I made sure I nailed the next three quarters.

"I have some really good targets in the circle, which makes it pretty easy for me."

The Thunderbirds were off-colour early before recovering to finish the opening term strongly, creeping ahead 15-14 at the first break.

Adelaide had cause for concern when Sterling-Humphrey went off early in the second quarter after hurting her head while contesting a rebound with Mavericks shooter Shimona Jok.

Wilson took over the goal keeper bib from her countrywoman and racked up four deflections for the term, combining with the rampant Horjus to extend the Thunderbirds' cushion to 33-25 at halftime.

The fifth-placed Mavericks, desperate to push into the top four in their debut campaign, were being snowed under by penalties, while their midcourt was clearly feeling the absence of gun centre Molly Jovic (concussion).

Sterling-Humphrey returned after halftime and was particularly lethal in the third stanza, which Adelaide won 16-9, before continuing to wreak havoc defensively in the fourth period, which the Thunderbirds bossed even more resoundingly, 18-7.