Advertisement

Thompson set for Wimbledon despite Queen's injury scare

Jordan Thompson will be fit to play at Wimbledon despite suffering an injury at the end of his career-best week at an ATP 500 event in the Queen's Club Championship.

Australia's No.2 men's player struggled with a back issue that flared up during his first-ever semi-final at this elevated level on Saturday, eventually going down to Italian Lorenzo Musetti in a tightly-fought contest.

The 30-year-old Sydneysider was due to compete at one of the final preparation tournaments in Mallorca ahead of Wimbledon, but instead decided to withdraw from the Spanish event in a bid to get himself completely right for the grass-court grand slam.

Tomljanovic
In-form Ajla Tomljanovic has withdrawn from her planned final event before Wimbledon. (AP PHOTO)

A spokesman from Thompson's management team told AAP on Sunday: "It's nothing serious - a bit of a sore back after a long week in Queen's so just a little rest and recovery this week, and he'll be good to go for Wimbledon."

There was a similarly promising report on the fitness of Thanasi Kokkinakis, who had taken a nasty tumble at Queen's earlier in the week but is fit to take part in an exhibition tournament at Stoke Park near London.

Ajla Tomljanovic, who has pulled out of this week's Eastbourne International, had decided even before her defeat to Yulia Putintseva in Sunday's Birmingham Classic final that she needed a gentler week in the final build-up to Wimbledon.

"Unfortunately, I won't be going to Eastbourne. I really think it's sensible to take some time to recover and regroup and also get better in the week before Wimby," Tomljanovic said after again missing out on the first tour-level WTA title of her 15-year career in Edgbaston.

But buoyed by her impressive return to form on the grass after only a month into her comeback from a long injury layoff, the two-time Wimbledon quarter-finalist was quick to smile: "So you know, maybe I didn't win today, so I'll win the next time in Wimbledon."

Meanwhile, seven Australian men will on Monday kick off their attempts to get through three tough qualifying rounds and join nine colleagues already in the main draw for the 'gentlemen's singles' that begin a week later.

Like a separate competition in its own right, staged just 5km up the road from Wimbledon at Roehampton, the prize for earning one of the precious 16 qualifying spots and a first-round main draw date will be a guaranteed Stg 60,000 ($A114,000).

Roehampton even has its own equivalent of Centre Court in which the biggest names in qualifying will appear.

First up on the big stage will be David Goffin, the Belgian former top-tenner and 2017 ATP Final runner-up, who will taken on perennial Australian tryer Marc Polmans, the world No.212.

Richard Gasquet and Diego Schwartzman will be other luminaries on 'show court 1' while Australia's highest-ranked player in the qualifiers, world No.88 James Duckworth, whose recent excellent form came too late to earn him an automatic spot, will face German Benjamin Hassan.

The other Australian men in the field will be Omar Jasika (ranked 210),  Li Tu (202), Dane Sweeny (244), Tristan Schoolkate (183) and Philip Sekulic (240).

The women's draw will be made on Monday, with possibly nine more Australians trying to join the already-qualified Tomljanovic and Daria Saville.