Baghdatis smashes four racquets

Chris Chase, Busted Racquet, Yahoo!7 January 19, 2012, 10:38 am

Like a Cypriot, tennis-playing Gallagher, Marcos Baghdatis busted four -- count 'em, four -- racquets during a changeover in Wednesday night's Australian Open loss to Stanislas Wawrinka.

The 2008 finalist lost the first two sets to Wawrinka and had just been broken early in the third set when he sat down for a break and calmly* smashed the racquet he was using. He then took three more out of his bag, one at a time, and broke those too. From start to finish, it all lasted 45 seconds and was as impressive a display of contained anger that you'll ever see.

• As calm as one can be when breaking four racquets against a hard court.

The tirade worked (for a little bit). Rowdy evening session fans were already in Baghdatis' corner and the racquet-busting fired them up even more, leading to a raucous Pro-Marcos atmosphere for the final 90 minutes of the match. Baghdatis quickly broke back and won the third set before falling in the fourth. The final score was 7-6, 6-4, 5-7, 6-1.

1. Aussie_Chica11:16pm Sunday 22nd January 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I was actually quite surprised that he behaved like that, he did breach the spirit of the game and that is not acceptable in any game. But I do think some of you are overreacting and as for expecting sports stars to be role models to kids, I don't agree. That is the job of the childs parents to be their role model.

2. Francois12:12pm Sunday 22nd January 2012 ESTReport Abuse

To me it's ok, the guy's human, besides he could be the most pleasant man around. Tennis is demanding, pressures, nerves, money and heat could be a factor too. We all are the same anyway, IMPERFECT creatures.

3. anton m11:06pm Friday 20th January 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Can't believe the comments on 7, he should never be invited to the australian open again what a Looser

4. 10:55am Friday 20th January 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I am so disgusted with what the commentators and channel 7 are doing with this incident. Commentators are congratulating Baghdatits that he managed to wreck 5 racquets and only get one fine for $800 rather than multiple fines. I have seen it replayed over 10 times as "the sound of tennis" with people cheering him on and one shot showing exactly how close the camera was to him at the time, so he knew exactly what he was doing in view of the world. This is making teenage boys who play tennis, even younger boys under 10, think its cool to slam their racquets on the ground during the game. Todd Woodbridge just said that the "trick" is to make it look like you arent throwing your racquets, that its accidental so that the umpire doesnt penalise you. Even young girls are being affected by the repeated coverage of this disgusting display of unsportsman like behaviour. Do we have to start censoring our children watching the Australian Open Tennis now as well as other programs?? Channel 7 needs to step up here and take a responsible stance on this and instruct its commentators to talk about it negatively and encourage children to be responsible and NOT laugh about it at the same time. Disgusted.

5. RALPH02:41am Friday 20th January 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Instead of destroying all those expensive racquets, he should have giving them to the crowd But since he doesn't pay for them, he couldn't give a sh...... about it Not a good role model for the youngster coming up......... unaccepatable behavior I hope he gets fined for his actions....

6. Shilow09:57pm Thursday 19th January 2012 ESTReport Abuse

What a little baby!! Go home and suck your bottle. Australia doesn't need bad sports like this. Stay away little boy.

7. Sandra06:52pm Thursday 19th January 2012 ESTReport Abuse

He should have been removed from the tournament immediately. This type of behaviour should not be tolerated. When I get upset at work, I don't flip over my desk and throw my chair. If I did, I would be escorted away by security. It's time we start holding "professional" athletes to some sort of behaviour code instead of allowing them to behave like spoiled brat children.

8. JFW06:52pm Thursday 19th January 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Sport has gone too far, too much money involved, so does that make it business ? If it does, how many subsidies are they getting and how many sport subsidies are they rorting ?

9. Hach06:34pm Thursday 19th January 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Yeh Kay... my previous comment didn't get posted.What I was trying to say was, that u are right. Men that carry on like the way you're saying are so bloody gutless and are whimps.

10. Trevor06:24pm Thursday 19th January 2012 ESTReport Abuse