Page 1 of 5
Sort By:
Newest First
Oldest First
Geoff
08 Oct 2008

Sign in to report this post.

Posted Sat 11 Jun 2011 10:31
Good to read that Serena is back this year with a warm up at Esatbourne next week.  The woman's tennis sure needs a shake up.

Mathieu, Gremelmeyr and Berankis out and Blake, Serra and de Bakker in,
Geoff
08 Oct 2008

Posted Sat 11 Jun 2011 10:36
Good to read that Serena is back this year with a warm up at Eastbourne next week.  Safina is out.  The woman's tennis sure needs a shake up.

Mathieu, Gremelmeyr and Berankis out and Blake, Serra and de Bakker in,
Nicolina
11 Jun 2009

Posted Mon 13 Jun 2011 14:00
Shake up ??????
Scott
06 Feb 2010

Posted Mon 13 Jun 2011 20:36

women's game DOES need a shake up.

Not one dominant player or even a couple of any worthy of any decent rivalaries.

The fact that spoilt brat Serena will come back after almost a year out & probably dominate (in a short space of time if she stays fit & remains focused) says that the women's game is in bad shape......with nobody capable of stepping up.

Kim Clijsters is a case in point......before she 'retired' from tennis a few years ago, she was known as a 'choker' & was a regular loser on the big occasion (even tho she won 1 major & was #1 at some stage). She comes back to tennis & then starts to win majors more regularly. Why ?.........could be many reasons, but IMHO, it's coz the women's game has not moved on in the last 5 years or so.

One could say that the men's game is boring with the Big-3 dominating, but the point is, at least there ARE some dominant players in the men's game, with some degree of intense rivalaries & some players trying to step up & challenge (eg. Murray Mint)......the women's game, I think anyone would be hard pushed to name one dominant player, let alone any existing rivalaries

\
Ping
18 Jan 2009

Posted Mon 13 Jun 2011 23:10
Geoff and Scott
Womens tennis needs more than a shake up... It needs a real No. 1!!!  The shake up it needs does not come in the form of Serena... if she is back to form she will dominate again... Mind you she would make a realistic No 1 if she begins to win Grand slams again...  The only interesting thing in Womens tennis is the lack of domination and different females are winning tournaments... Apart from that its yawn really...   I miss Steffi and Martina N dont you? or are you both too young!!!!! chuckle...
Ping
18 Jan 2009

Posted Tue 14 Jun 2011 03:10
At last Wozni.. Well Done   also Lisicki.. a good win
FIGJAM
03 Nov 2010

Posted Tue 14 Jun 2011 12:51
Women's tennis is so boooooring!
Geoff
08 Oct 2008

Posted Tue 14 Jun 2011 16:41
What a constructive comment FJ....useless.

Post a comment by Venus on woman's tennis on the other thread
Nicolina
11 Jun 2009

Posted Tue 14 Jun 2011 23:20
Hello...

A Shake up ?

I believe the women's tour is headed in a upward direction , with Li Na, Clijsters, Sharapova and the return of the Venus and Serena.
Perhaps even better?   There are more female Grand slam winners  playing on the tour than GS winning men at present.
The mens tour has been 3-sided this year,
however the women , there are so many champs who could win Wimbledon.  A Shake Up ? - I don't think so !
Ping
18 Jan 2009

Posted Wed 15 Jun 2011 08:49
Nico
Please re read my comment and you might absorb the fact that I make the same point as yourself... There are many female players who can and do win tournaments... so its an open playing field... no dominance...

There are more female Grand Slam winners than male... oh do tell !!!!!

There are so many female champs who could win Wimbledon... Name them...

I have always found your comments to be without substance... despite being away from these threads.. I find your posts havent changed...
Geoff
08 Oct 2008

Posted Wed 15 Jun 2011 20:13
OH dear Numpty...back with your stupid comments that I thought you had left behind.

Current male Grand Slam winners still playing:  SIX I MAKE IT
Federer
Nadal
Djokovich
Roddick
Hewitt
Ferrero

Current female Grand Slam winners:  5 if you include both the Williams sister
Williams S
Williams V
(NB both have virtually been out of competition a year)
Clijsters
Kuzetzsova
Schiavone

So dear Numpty you are wrong as usual..there are more male Gland Slam winners playing that female.

You are bad as FJ for quoting facts to suit your argument...back to the pills
Geoff
08 Oct 2008

Posted Wed 15 Jun 2011 20:20
PS  before you correct my statement about both Williams sisters Venus has played I think 3/4 events but nothing of note.

As for the men Hewitt will stay there till he retires.

Scott please call Sgt McKenzie
Nicolina
11 Jun 2009

Posted Thu 16 Jun 2011 01:22
You forgot Ana Ivanovic who won 1 French and also Sharapova who won Wimbledon and the US Open and i think 1 AUST. Nice research.

Are you the %#@#hole previously known as grsydney..
Geoff
08 Oct 2008

Posted Thu 16 Jun 2011 12:04
Numpty.  Yes you are right  I did forget Ivanovic and Sharapova.  so the woman Grand Slam winners still playing are one more than the men.

It still doesn't prove anything. The WTA field is very weak in the top 20.  WTA is lagging way behind the ATP.  You are out of step with everyone who believe this to be the case.  But we are all entitled to have our own opinion.

Players out:
Clijsters (ankle)
Querrey (elbow)
Becker(elbow)
Hewitt a big ?

Serena may have lost against Zvonareva last night but what a close match.  Her second only in a year.  I for one would not write of her chances at Wimbledon by any means.

Glad to see your "language" is still there.  Just try and not return to your previous outburst on here. 

Nicolina
11 Jun 2009

Posted Thu 16 Jun 2011 22:13
Hello,
Nice to see you have the balls to admit you were incorrect. Now delete or rephrase your earlier stupid post and I will do likewise. Deal ?
Geoff
08 Oct 2008

Posted Fri 17 Jun 2011 08:30
MY post stands Numpty.  Suggest you increase your medication
Nicolina
11 Jun 2009

Posted Fri 17 Jun 2011 09:09
How pathetic. A grown up would resort to name calling and personal attacks on what is supposed to be a public forum.
Ping
18 Jan 2009

Posted Fri 17 Jun 2011 11:36
Hello Geoff
Looks like you might enjoy an intelligent conversation with a Lady... so here I am...

Hope you are just about ready for the best tennis tournament in the World... the ONE they all want to win and so beautifully organised, with exquisite trimmings.. mmmmm

Hope the weather is kind for the next two weeks... although now of course there is the ..roof...!!!

Am really looking forward to it, there is a touch of mystery surrounding this year I feel.. Mens and Womens.

Look forward to chatting with you during the competition... Enjoy...

Ping
Geoff
08 Oct 2008

Posted Fri 17 Jun 2011 15:52
For Numpty.  
At least I do not use crass language.

Ping

Yes it will be refreshing talking to you to you during the great 2 weeks coming up.  So many ifs and buts.   I will have great please in ignoring the other child unless provoaked
ForumsWIMBLEDON
Sign in to post and view your settings
New User? Sign up

Latest

Top Rated

Most Discussed