ForumsChange a tennis rule?
Page 4 of 4
Sort By:
Newest First
Oldest First
pet...

Sign in to report this post.

Posted Sat 22 Jan 2011 17:29
Eliminate the net call.  If they cant return ball from a net call then, just maybe they shouldnt be playing tennis,  Speed up the game.
Tania
05 Jan 2010

Posted Sat 22 Jan 2011 23:22
i like the idea of just one serve instead of two. It could be used for 5 set matches (in order to reduce fatigue), while 3 set matches could stay at two serves.

i also agree with the person who commented against players apologising for balls that hit the tape of the net and bounce in to win the point? luck plays a small part of most sports. in soccer if the ball hits the crossbar and crosses the goal line do you see players apologise? no, they celebrate. maybe tennis players could celebrate too ha
peter
09 Apr 2009

Posted Sat 22 Jan 2011 23:45
The hot girls should play in bikinis like beach volleyball players!
Diane

Posted Sun 23 Jan 2011 11:01
New Rule: Sudden death tie-breaker
Old Rule: Play out the set as per normal. Sudden death tie-breakers are such a let down! At the Sydney International just a week ago, the men's doubles final was 1 set all, and it was a very entertaining match up to that time, then pow, a sudden death tie-breaker, what an anti-climax!!!
joh...

Posted Sun 23 Jan 2011 13:14

Get rid of grunting the greatness of the game through skill and shot making makes the game better not outlandish antics.  Roger and Pete showed more personality through there shots and how they played the game than rediculous clothing, hair pieces and antics than any other player.
joh...

Posted Sun 23 Jan 2011 13:15

Bring back advantage sets. Make the women play 5 sets or reduce there payments by 40%
mar...

Posted Sun 23 Jan 2011 13:27
The grunts made should be controlled by certain decibels pitch and that they should certainly stop before ball gets over the net. There is one in the ladies that goes till the other person i@%&#ting.
elc...

Posted Sun 23 Jan 2011 13:53
I am with Catja that the screaming should be stopped.  It is grating and very annoying and my husband and I hit the mute button which is a shame because we then miss the expert commentary.  Half of these screamers do not do it through practice matches and therefore not needed in real matches.  I for one have been a tennis fan for many years but have been turned off by the screaming ones that get on the court especially Sharapova - it's got to be stopped and it does not add to the game it deflects from the game as you often miss some of the good points by having it muted.,  I would much prefer to hear the thud of the ball than the screams of some shrew!!
elc...

Posted Sun 23 Jan 2011 14:50
I have been reading through all the comments and find some very interesting and others I totally disagree with.  I like a good volley and equal players giving us a good game male or female but I have to agree as in my previous comment that I am preferring to watch the male games rather than the screaming matches of the women.

The person who asked about whether these players scream during their practice matches - no they don't and it has been commented on many times especially in regard to the main offenders.  Monica Seles started this fiasco off and it was allowed to continue.  Just stupid.

I also agree with the doubles - Australiam kids grow up on playing doubles and for the tournaments to be decided by a tie breaker instead of a further set is ridiculous.

Also the one about banning Bruce McEvaney I totally agree.  I am not a huge fan of Lleyton Hewitt but watched a match last night which he did the commentary on and I found him to be very interesting and great listening,  It was good to have a very knowledgeable player to be there commentating and hope that perhaps if he ever gives tennis away he is given the chance to be a commentator instead of getting overseas people in to commentate and most people don't remember who they are,

Hywel E
17 Dec 2008

Posted Sun 23 Jan 2011 17:20

All the ball must land within the limits of the lines,otherwise it is out.

The line defines the play area. If any part of the ball touches outside the line it should be called out. 
Touching the line by a millimetre or so to be in is ridiculous.
wen...

Posted Sun 23 Jan 2011 17:59
Allowing the squeals in women's tennis. These annoying vocals should be banned.
wen...

Posted Sun 23 Jan 2011 18:04

Allowing squealing in women's tennis. The squealing should be banned, and players fined if the rule is not complied with.
shm...

Posted Mon 24 Jan 2011 23:49
I think one thing every player finds annoying is when linesmen call the ball wrong and the player who missed a shot afterwords says that his shot was affected by the call. I think the call must be made after the player makes his shot :)
Stewart
19 Dec 2008

Posted Tue 25 Jan 2011 00:28
There is a rule that badly needs changing but its complicated. When a ball is called out but its not and the player on the recieving end of the shot still clearly tries to play it and hits it into the ground or something but argues when he misses that there was an out call. In that case the point should be decided by hawk eye, replaying the point in that situation is wrong because the point was already won but for the winging of the player who would have lost it.

I know it sounds complicated but I cant think of another way to explain it.
jess_spence

Posted Tue 25 Jan 2011 07:22

go back to the old wooden rackets and see how hard they can hit the ball or how much top spin they can hit. I think i would stand a chance against some of the young kids at my tennis club then, lol
Andrew Just
22 Jan 2011

Posted Tue 25 Jan 2011 12:51

I dont think many have really thought through "the ball must be within the lines idea"  In reality, it wont make the lines any easier to call, it will either be in or out by a mm.  Perhaps some are also not tennis players and dont realise that the contact patch of the ball can be up to 20cm long on a fast serve, if the initial contact were made on the inside of the line and some of the mark outside the line(what would be your decision)

its very difficult to look at a landing ball and decide where it left the court from, its easier to judge where it first hit.

The other practicality problem is for grass courts where the lines were chalked, any raising/puffing of the chalk was a fair indication that the ball had made contact with some part of the line, having to then decide whether the ball also made contact with the court beyond the line, difficult!

Also think about how it works in table tennis, any part of the top surface of the table is in.
Andrew Just
22 Jan 2011

Posted Tue 25 Jan 2011 13:01

Abolish foot fault rule: what do people propose instead, they can stand right next to the net and serve it?  When does "only" a few cm over become too much, 5cm, 10cm, 20cm.  The extra cms gained at the baseline translates into an advantage whatever way you look at it, foot faulting is cheating, simple as that

Players who suffer from foot creep well know it, they can always position themselves a safe distance from the baseline if that is the case and never give away a foot fault again.  stop feeling sorry for the cheaters

jon...

Posted Tue 25 Jan 2011 15:04
Imagine tennis where two handed hitting was banned.
Hywel E
17 Dec 2008

Posted Wed 26 Jan 2011 13:08

I've no idea about the techicalities of the balls and raquets, but something needs to be done to reduce the "power" in the game.
It's so boring watching them just standing there and trying to hit the cover off the ball.

Bring back the finesse there used to be.
phindrup

Posted Thu 27 Jan 2011 22:02
Commentators are arguing the time between games. Instead of 20 seconds between, why not limit the time that the person serving has from the time they step up to serve, until they actually serve.  This would eliminate Djokovic's ridiculously tedious ball bounces! 
bec...

Posted Thu 27 Jan 2011 22:22
(unless faulty) the gear you go into the game with is the gear you go out of the game with (excludes racket and sweat bands)
so no shoe changing or clothing.
ENRIQUEZC
05 Jan 2009

Posted Tue 01 Feb 2011 11:46
YES.  I suggest that the real winner can be chosen if the rule will be changed from "DO or DIE" OR GRAND SLAM  To ROUND ROBIN where each player has the chance to challenge all players.  So, top 50% will be chosen from the first round to advance to the second round,  top 25% from the second round to advance to  the third round
and the top 10 to advance to the semi- final round and the top 2 shall play the championship round. In this rule, upsets can be avoided.  More play, more fun and excitement, more income to the Australian Tennis association and income for the Australian Tourism Industry.
ForumsChange a tennis rule?
Sign in to post and view your settings
New User? Sign up

Latest

Top Rated

Most Discussed