ForumsChange a tennis rule?
Page 1 of 4
Sort By:
Newest First
Oldest First
jc_...

Sign in to report this post.

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 09:06
If you could change a tennis rule what would it be?
ali...

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 10:57

Rule: On the line is still in
New Rule: If the ball is sitting partly on the line and the rest outside of the court, it should be considered out.
That is literally luck, not precision

len...

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 11:06

No way! On the line is and should be considered in ... players have been trained to aim for anywhere on and around the court ... this would be changing a rule for change's sake.
More importantly I think they should get rid of medical practitioners being allowed on the court every 5mins to give the player a massage ... it is normally a clear tactic to get more time, disrupts the game and should be banned ....
Thoughts?
Ashleigh Sloane
11 Nov 2010

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 11:19
They have changed the 'massage' rule haven't they? They can only get treatment for cramping during change ends. They can't take a medical time out. And the line is in, that should not be changed.

Men should be allowed their coaches on the court during non Grand Slam matches like the women
Lisa
03 Jan 2010

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 11:21

5th set should go into tie break.
catja
09 Oct 2008

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 11:23
I would add a rule and not change a rule, that that would be no screaming while playing, it's not needed and I would fine them $500 per scream and money would go to a charity within each grand slam country.
len...

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 11:29

ohhh thats a big call Catja! I reckon the grunting gives the game some guts & shows the players' passion. Tennis is already lacking a bit of atmosphere.. if the screams were taken away it would become even drier ...
ali...

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 11:31
Point taken Len and Ash... Still not sure about the line rule - it's not 'inside' the court. Doesnt make sense to me. Also find that in years passed, many shots would have been called as out.. with challenges, they are considered in. It's becoming too technical. And bring back the abuse and screaming... thats what made it interesting!!
bjm...

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 11:36
You can challenge a foot fault call using the halk eye challenge system.
kar...

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 11:39
I partly agree with Lenny M- without the screams and grunts all we would have is Thud whoooooosh..... Thud whoooooosh.

However I do feel that the screams and grunts are very repetitive (players seem to have one signature sound that they stick to) so new rule should be "Players can't make the same noise twice in a row".
Let's seem them get creative and spice it up a bit with their moaning! 

bjm...

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 11:43
Yeah definately there should be limits put on screaming, grunts are cool though! If they don't put limits on it it will take over the women's game, which will mean less people will want to be spectators.
Joshy
02 Oct 2009

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 11:44

Men should play 3 set matches in grand slams as well as on the regular tour.  Saves the debate about women and men earning equal prize money occuring.

Men play 3 sets on the regular tour and only play best of 5 at Grand Slams and Davis Cup anyway, so why not just make it a 3 set sport? 5 sets gets boring after a while...

lyn...

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 11:54

Not really a rule,but i would stop the silly tradition of 'apologising' when the point is won by the ball collecting the net tape and dropping short of the opponent.The winner is anything but sorry so why raise their hand as if they are?? 
bjm...

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 11:55
 You can't be serious! No way hawk eye is the best intro into the sport in ages! Umpires are human. They get it wrong, especially when the set is getting close to the finish. Players need to be able to challenge.
car...

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 12:09
Definitely need to change the serve rule to one serve only and if the ball hits the net on the way over but lands within the correct service box it's OK.
lyn...

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 12:12

In major comps like the Aust Open,with hawkeye technology,i dont think its fair that a player should have to challenge.I think a wrong call should automatically be corrected.To me its just common sense
James Mathews
09 Oct 2008

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 12:17
I would like to see the Women's matches changed from being a Three Setter to a Five Setter as it would then make it even with the Men's so that there is Equality in the sport of Tennis as it would be a major rules change, I feel that the time would be right to do it as it would have a bigger crowd than at current and I think that is only a good thing to do
jackiedavey

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 14:15

For Andy Roddick's sake. No foot faults!
Chuck
09 Oct 2008

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 14:16
Not really a rule change, but how about having a televised multi-racket support tournament (with tennis, squash and badminton), where a player competes at all sports, so it tests a player's allround skill - not just how good they are at one racketsport.
I'd love watching this on TV.
jam...

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 14:18
DEFINITELY the on-the-line rule!

Tennis layers have the entire court to get the ball in!!! Why is it they suddenly need the area OUTSIDE the actual lines?

The ball out be IN the court, or RIGHT ON the line, NOT over.

I have a big problem with the computerised line calling in that I don't believe it takes into consideration that the apex of the ball is NOT actually touching the line on the 'outter line' calls.

That is to say, that the very bottom of the ball that actually touches the court is over the line, and the machine picks up the sides of the tennis ball 'shadowing' the line.
Me :D
11 Feb 2010

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 14:23
I hated it how players cannot challenge after a slow-motion replay has gone up on the screen. Its like you sorta know your gonna get it right so you cant challenge. Aren't challenges created to make the game more fair?
ibr...

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 14:47

Mens should only play 2 sets!
Ashleigh Sloane
11 Nov 2010

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 18:46
2 sets? How is anyone meant to win if it's one set all?
Su-Wei

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 20:32
I reckon Hawkeye should be used every point. So if the ball was called out, Hawkeye should overrule it
Smitty
28 May 2010

Posted Fri 21 Jan 2011 20:32
If you serve a fault and it's a foot fault at the same time it should be an automatic double fault.
ForumsChange a tennis rule?
Sign in to post and view your settings
New User? Sign up

Latest

Top Rated

Most Discussed