Tahir pulls out of Renegades BBL campaign

Scott Bailey
·1-min read

The Melbourne Renegades' Big Bash season has gone from bad to worse with South Africa spinner Imran Tahir pulling out of the tournament.

Already struggling for form, the Renegades confirmed on Monday that Tahir had told them he was withdrawing for personal reasons.

The 41-year-old becomes the latest in the string of players to withdraw from the tournament amid Australia's two-week hotel quarantine for arrivals, including Tom Banton and Tom Curran.

The spinner's planned addition to their squad for matches in the new year was set to be a boost, given they have been flogged in their past three games.

However it could now open the door for 15-year-old Afghan Noor Ahmed to stay on for longer as an overseas player, given he was previously filling the gap until Tahir's arrival.

The Renegades have suffered the two biggest defeats in BBL history already this tournament, and must rebound fast for Tuesday's clash with the Sydney Sixers.

They were beaten by 145 runs last time they faced them, before also going down by 129 runs to the Thunder on Saturday night.

The next eight days now loom as vital for their season, with four games to be played in that block.

"The mood is still pretty good because we know what we're capable of doing," Renegades coach Michael Klinger said.

"Starting well with the bat and ball is going to be the key. We let them get away with the bat by not sticking to our plans with the ball.

"And then losing wickets in the powerplay is going to impact when you chasing a 200-plus score."