Advertisement

'Out of line': Cricket great's 'shameful' David Warner dig backfires

David Warner (pictured left) hits a double bounce ball for six and (pictured right) taking a break.
David Warner's shot on a double bounce delivery (pictured left) sparked a debate on whether it was in the spirit of the game. (Images: Twitter/Getty Images)

Indian cricket great Gautam Gambhir has bore the brunt of the criticism after taking a shot at David Warner over a controversial moment in Australia's T20 World Cup semi-final win.

Warner top scored, despite Matthew Wade receiving the plaudits for his heroics, as Australia defeated Pakistan in the T20 World Cup semi-final.

The opener was in the thick of the action after hitting 49 runs, before losing his wicket in controversial fashion and failing to review.

'UTTER MADNESS': Cricket world in disbelief over Aussie 'miracle'

'WHAT ON EARTH': Fans stunned by 'shocking' David Warner act

But it was Warner's aggressive game-style that also had some fans questioning whether he crossed the line after chasing down and smashing a double-bounce delivery.

Australia were 2-57 when Mohammad Hafeez bowled an erroneous no-ball that bounced twice.

Warner charged down to his leg side and ended up whipping the ball for six.

Commentator Mark Nicholas was the first to praise the huge six.

"Oh, he has hit that for six, that is incredible strength," commentator Mark Nicholas said.

"I don't think I've ever seen that before, a double bouncer hit for six."

However, Gambhir caused a stir on social media when he questioned whether Warner's shot was in the spirit of the game.

He tagged Indian spinner Ravi Ashwin in the post.

Following the match, Gambhir called out Australian greats Shane Warne and Ricky Ponting for being vocal about the 'spirit of cricket' in the past.

"Shane Warne comments and tweets about everything. Even Ricky Ponting makes big claims about the spirit of the game. What have they got to say about this?" Gambhir said during on Indian network Star Sports, according to India Today.

"When Ashwin does the Mankad, they came up with big comments. Today, what has Shane Warne got to say about David Warner?

"It's easy to criticise someone but extremely difficult to criticise your own players," he added.

Gambhir was referring to their criticism of Ravi Ashwin's now infamous 'mankad' incident.

Gambhir slammed for ridiculous David Warner criticism

Whether Gambhir's tweet was sarcasm or not, it didn't go down well in the cricket community.

Ashwin responded to Australian reporter Peter Lalor and explained what Gambhir was trying to reference when comparing his incident with Warner's.

However, he then agreed Warner did nothing wrong.

Others were quick to defend Warner over the sportsmanship debate.

Australian coach Justin Langer shared a laugh over the bizarre sequence of events on the pitch.

The controversial incident - which Warner faced - involved a no-ball, double bounce, a six and a free hit the next delivery.

“Oh my gosh! it’s one of the best things I have ever seen in the game of cricket. I don’t think anyone would have the instincts to do that,” Langer said after the game.

“Most people would not have been sure what to do. It’s a no ball and then to have the talent and ability to hit it for six, unbelievable.

“And then he walked of course when he nicked it, so anyone thinks it to be unsportsmanlike, probably evens it up a bit.”

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.