Aaron Finch responds to Aussie legend over brutal World Cup call

Pat Cummins (pictured left) during a match and (pictured right) Mark Waugh during broadcast.
Aaron Finch has backed Pat Cummins (pictured left) to come good at the T20 World Cup after he came under criticism from former selector Mark Waugh (pictured right). (Getty Images)

Australian captain Aaron Finch has hit back at former selector Mark Waugh's comments about Pat Cummins and dismissed any notion of the star bowler being dropped.

Australia head into Friday's game against England knowing anything but a victory will end their title defence on home soil, which will effectively be over after just three games.

OH NO: Matthew Wade at centre of fresh Aussie drama at T20 World Cup

'PATHETIC': England under fire over brutal T20 World Cup boilover

England will enter the match full of confidence having beaten Australia 2-0 in their recent bilateral series and pulled off a resounding victory against Finch's team in the group stage of last year's World Cup.

Leading into the game the form of Aussie Test and ODI captain Cummins has come under criticism.

Aussie great and former selector Waugh said the form of Cummins was worrying, calling for all-rounder Cameron Green to come in at his expense.

“There’s players individually that just aren’t getting it right,” Waugh told RSN Breakfast.

“Pat Cummins with the ball, there’s a massive question mark over him heading into the next game. Aaron Finch’s innings was torturous. It really was. I don’t think he can open the innings in the next game. If he’s going to play, he should bat somewhere down the order.

“It just doesn’t feel right. They’re not a happy camp and they look like they’re lacking confidence. They’re so nervous. I don’t know what the answer is.

“I think they need to make some changes for the next game. I would bring Cameron Green in and I’d bring him in for Pat Cummins and I’d let Cam Green open the batting.

Aaron Finch (pictured) celebrates.
Aaron Finch (pictured) has backed Pat Cummins to come good at the T20 World Cup. (Photo by James Worsfold/Getty Images)

“That’s one change I would definitely make. I know it leaves your bowling a little short, but I think Cameron Green can bowl four overs as well as any of the other bowlers at the moment.”

However, Finch has slapped down any concern over Australia's premier quick and dismissed the criticism.

"His (Cummins) numbers over the last 18 months have been outstanding in T20 cricket," Finch said.

"It blows my mind sometimes where people go with selection chat.

"He's been unbelievable over all three formats for a long time and the calmness and experience that he brings to a bowling group is invaluable."

Aaron Finch labels slow innings an 'anomaly'

Finch also entered the T20 World Cup under fire and has done little to quiet the critics.

Despite mounting pressure to retain his spot, including from legendary former Australia captain Allan Border who called for Steve Smith to replace him in the XI, Finch is determined to push on.

It comes after the powerful right-hander could barely contain his frustration as he crawled to 31 not out off 42 balls in the seven-wicket win over Sri Lanka in Perth on Tuesday night.

"I think it was an anomaly in my career, it was just one of those days," Finch told reporters at the MCG on Thursday.

"I still feel like I'm playing pretty well.

"I still feel confident in my game, 100 per cent.

"I don't feel anymore pressure than I ever have, the only pressure is the expectation you put on yourself.

"Everyone's got their opinion, that's fine. I've got no issue with what people's personal opinions are, I don't read or listen to any of it."

Pat Cummins (pictured) in the Australian dugout.
Pat Cummins (pictured) will be looking for a big game against England. (Photo by Paul Kane/Getty Images)

Leg-spinner Adam Zampa missed the important victory over Sri Lanka after testing positive for COVID-19.

Zampa is in contention to return against England, but wicketkeeper Matthew Wade on Thursday contracted the virus.

Wade's symptoms are minor and he is expected to play.

However, if his condition deteriorates and he can't play then Australia will be forced to hand the gloves to Finch, star batter David Warner or even explosive all-rounder Glenn Maxwell.

"(Zampa) was really flat the day before the game and we were going to give him as much time as possible to get up for the game but we just thought it'd be too much, you want to be 100 per cent going into a World Cup game," Finch said.

The clash between the famous rivals takes on extra significance following England's shock loss to Ireland on Wednesday night.

Australia were thumped by New Zealand in their opening game, but prospects of progressing to the semi-finals were enhanced by England's disastrous stumble against Ireland.

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.