Virat Kohli lashes out after 'appalling' video emerges at T20 World Cup

Virat Kohli, pictured here at the T20 World Cup.
Virat Kohli has slammed an 'appalling' video filmed inside his hotel room. Image: Twitter/Getty

Virat Kohli has slammed an 'appalling' invasion of privacy after video emerged on social media from inside his hotel room during the T20 World Cup.

The India star took to social media on Monday to denounce the troubling video, in which a stranger appears to walk through the room filming every step of the way.

'YOU ARE KIDDING': Pat Cummins in brutal scenes at T20 World Cup

'SAD TO HEAR': Cricket world reacts to news about Wasim Akram

A second person was also in the room when the video was shot, but the vision doesn't show either of their faces.

Crown Perth released a statement on Monday afternoon apologising for the incident, saying the contractors involved have been stood down and removed from the Crown account.

The video that had been shot was labelled 'King Kohli's Hotel Room', and shows the star cricketer's neat and organised belongings.

Kohli lashed out on social media after the video emerged online.

"I understand that fans get very happy and excited seeing their favourite players and get excited to meet them and I've always appreciated that," Kohli wrote to his 221 million followers on Instagram.

"But this video here is appalling and it's made me feel very paranoid about my privacy.

"If I cannot have privacy in my own hotel room, then where can I really expect any personal space at all??

"I'm NOT okay with this kind of fanaticism and absolute invasion of privacy.

"Please respect people's privacy and not treat them as a commodity for entertainment."

Virat Kohli, pictured here in action for India at the T20 World Cup.
Virat Kohli in action for India at the T20 World Cup. (Photo by TREVOR COLLENS/AFP via Getty Images)

Crown Perth apologises over Virat Kohli video

It remains unclear when the video was taken, or how it came into Kohli's possession, but Crown Perth said the incident occurred outside the T20 World Cup competition.

"We unreservedly apologise to the guest involved and will continue to take the necessary steps to ensure this remains an isolated incident," a Crown Perth spokesperson said in a statement.

"We have zero tolerance for this behaviour, and it falls well below the standards we set for our team members and contractors.

"Crown took immediate steps to rectify the issue, including launching an investigation, standing down the individuals involved and removing them from the Crown account.

"The original video was also swiftly removed from the social media platform.

“We are also cooperating with the Indian Cricket team and the International Cricket Council to convey our apologies and will continue to work with them as we progress our investigation.”

The International Cricket Council also released a statement, saying: “The ICC is incredibly disappointed by the gross invasion of privacy suffered by a member of the Indian traveling party at the Crown Perth, during their team’s pre-event preparation ahead of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2022.

“We continue to work with event hotels and security providers to ensure that this remains an isolated incident and player privacy is fully respected at all times.”

Kohli featured in India's five-wicket loss to South Africa in Perth on Sunday night.

The 33-year-old dropped a simple catch in the deep which cost his team dearly.

Aiden Markram was on 35 at the time, and he finished on 52 in a knock that proved crucial in helping the Proteas chase down the victory target with just two balls to spare.

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.