T20 Cup boss keen to welcome foreign fans

·3-min read

Australia have the trophy they long yearned for but there remains "unfinished business" for next year's Twenty20 World Cup organisers, who are ready to welcome cricket fans from around the globe.

The next edition of the men's T20 World Cup starts on October 16, culminating in an MCG final on November 13.

The SCG will host a semi-final on November 9 and the opening game of Australia's title defence, while Adelaide Oval will be the setting for the other semi on November 10.

Tickets won't go on sale until January, when the full list of fixtures are set to be locked in.

There has been a recent spike in registrations for priority access to tickets, with Australia's win over New Zealand in their T20 World Cup final in Dubai proving a marketing boon.

But tournament chief executive Michelle Enright, desperate to recreate the success of the 2020 T20 women's World Cup she also worked on, is just as keen to see supporters from around the world form part of heaving crowds.

"The eyes of the world will be here. We want as many fans as possible to be able to come," Enright told AAP.

"We are confident with the way things are moving.

"We can't predict the future.

"But we will be going on sale, with international tickets, and hope to get as many fans here as possible.

"We all remember those 86,000 fans at the MCG (for the women's final). We saw in the UAE they weren't able to get full crowds for some games ... those big crowds are what we want, for fans and players."

The federal government has opened its border to Australians but is yet to give the green light to foreign tourists, like members of the Barmy Army hoping to attend the Ashes.

There is widespread hope that change will happen soon.

Approximately 100,000 foreigners visited Australia to watch part of the men's ODI World Cup in 2015, with a huge surge in Indian tourists during that tournament.

The federal government funded a tourism campaign to promote Indian visits to Australia for the men's T20 World Cup, when COVID-19 had yet to halt so many facets of normal life.

Enright is one of many to have experienced pandemic-induced upheaval.

The New Zealand administrator stepped up to her current role after Nick Hockley departed the post to become Cricket Australia's chief executive.

The fate of the event in Australia remained in the balance for much of 2020 until the global governing body settled on a rejigged calendar.

"We had to make most of our staff redundant," Enright said.

"We're really pleased we're now getting a lot of the old crew (from the women's World Cup) back together for the men's event.

"We've all got unfinished business.

"A lot of the planning had been done but some of that is now a bit different in a COVID environment."

Michael Clarke, who captained Australia to victory in the 2015 World Cup final at the MCG, argued Aaron Finch's side would relish the "pressure and expectation" associated with a home tournament.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting