Today is GCSE results day, which means students will be celebrating the culmination of months of hard work.
Many will also be considering their next step in higher education, which could involve T-levels.
T-levels were first launched in 2020. However, as reported by the BBC, a recent report has urged the Government to pause plans to pull funding from other vocational courses, such as BTecs, until T-levels are fully ready to replace them.
Find out what you need to know about T-levels below, including which courses are available.
What are T-levels?
They’re equivalent to three A-levels but involve an industry placement of at least 315 hours or 45 days.
T-levels aim to prepare students for entry into skilled employment, an apprenticeship, or related technical study through further or higher education.
There is also the option of completing a T-level Transition Programme, which is a one-year course designed to help pupils to transition between GCSEs and a T-level course.
How are T-Levels different from apprenticeships?
Apprenticeships are more suited to people who are ready to enter the workforce at 16, as 80 per cent of an apprentice course is typically spent on the job, with the remaining 20 per cent in the classroom.
T-levels, on the other hand, prepare pupils for work, further training, or further study, with them spending time on an industry placement.
How do T-levels compare to A-levels?
Like A-levels, students will receive UCAS points for completing T-levels.
T-level pupi;s are awarded distinction*, distinction, merit, pass (C or above), and pass (D or E) grades.
These grades are awarded varying amounts of UCAS points, which are equivalent to three A-level grades.
For example, distinction* is worth 168 points, or the equivalent of AAA* at A-level. A merit is worth 120 points, or the equivalent of BBB at A-level. A pass (C or above) is worth 96 points, or CCC at A-level.
Dozens of universities across the UK accept T-levels as a suitable entry requirement for at least one course they offer.
Which T-level courses are available?
T-level pupils can choose from a range of subjects, including accountancy, digital business, finance, health care and manufacturing.
A full list of courses, which have been introduced each September since 2020, is available here.
Six more were due to be introduced in September 2023 but three have been delayed until 2024, the BBC says.
hairdressing, barbering and beauty therapy
craft and design
media, broadcast and production.
A fourth, in catering, is being pushed back until at least 2025, according to the BBC.
Instead, just two new T-levels will be introduced as planned — legal services, and agriculture, land management and production.
Where can pupils take T-levels?
T-levels are offered at selected colleges, schools, and other providers across England. To find your nearest T-level course, enter your postcode on the T-level finder website.