A 12-year-old boy has been arrested and charged with assault after a 12-year-old girl was allegedly stabbed at an Adelaide primary school.
About 9am on Friday, SA Police and paramedics were called to St Thomas More School in Elizabeth Park following reports a young female student had been stabbed by another student.
The 12-year-old girl suffered cuts to her torso and was taken to the Women’s and Children’s Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
A second male student was detained by police, who also seized a knife. The school was placed into lockdown for a short time.
SA Police later confirmed a 12-year-old boy from Davoren Park had been arrested and charged with assault causing harm.
He will appear in court in October.
Just before midday, the school released a statement to parents explaining what had happened.
“I write to inform you that there was an isolated incident involving two upper primary students at our school this morning,” principal Chris Platten wrote.
“There is no further risk to any other students, and students were supported by staff in the gym while the school was in lockdown.”
He said staff at the school “acted swiftly” to intervene the incident, with SA Police and ambulance services attending “promptly.”
“Our priority at the moment is supporting the students involved and those who witnessed the incident.”
Mr Platten said the school was co-ordinating counsellors to support the students and staff “in the days ahead.”
“The school was placed in lockdown while police investigated the incident and school will continue as per out timetable for the rest of the day.”
Catholic Education South Australia executive director Neil McGoran said the safety of students and staff was the “absolute priority”.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the students, their families, school staff and those who witnessed this morning’s isolated incident at St Thomas More School, Elizabeth Park,” he said.
“Additional staff and counsellors are on site to support students and staff and we will continue to wrap around the school community in coming days.”
It comes after parents expressed their disappointment in the school for not notifying them of the incident earlier, with families instead finding out through news outlets.
Childcare worker Rachel Mitchell left work early to pick up her young daughter, who has only been attending St Thomas Moore for three weeks.
“It’s really scary,” Ms Mitchell said.
“I was at work and I heard about it from my sister, so I just came to pick (her daughter) up straight away.”
While she said the incident had shaken her, she said she didn’t blame the school.
“It can happen anywhere I guess,” she said.
“It is super scary, especially when you have little ones.
“I’m obviously a concerned mum in a situation like this.”