Marcus Stoinis will be cleared to play in the Big Bash League's rival competition in the UAE provided he overcomes a hamstring injury.
Stoinis earlier this month became the first centrally contracted Australian player to sign with the International League T20, when he linked with the Sharjah Warriors.
In the time since that announcement Stoinis has battled a lingering hamstring injury, which has ruled him out of action for the Melbourne Stars since January 6.
The allrounder was named in the Stars squad to face Brisbane on Monday night, but was a last-minute withdrawal when he failed a fitness test.
Stoinis is now hopeful of returning against the Heat on Sunday, which looms as the Stars's penultimate game of the season with the glamour club last on the ladder.
Proving his fitness will be crucial for Stoinis.
AAP has been told the 33-year-old will be given approval to play in the lucrative UAE competition by Cricket Australia, but only if he is clear of injury.
Australia have a big year in the white-ball format with their preparations for October's one-day World Cup in India ramping up with a series in the country in March.
Stoinis has also been told he must be available for all Australian domestic matches, with the West Australian required to be back for the Sheffield Shield on February 10.
The fact CA is willing to allow Stoinis to travel to the UAE for the tournament is also notable.
The ILT20 is the biggest threat to the BBL with the tournament offering up nine overseas spots in the each of the six teams' rosters.
Bankrolled by IPL franchise owners, the league is also able to offer player salaries of up to $650,000 a season and at one point attempted to lure David Warner last year.
A number of the BBL's overseas stars also left the Australian competition midway through this season to play in the UAE, including Alex Hales, James Vince, Chris Jordan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Sam Billings, Colin Munro and Trent Boult.
Chris Lynn is another player now in the UAE after being cleared to leave the BBL midway through the competition as he doesn't have a central Australian contract or state contract.
CA and other full-member ICC nations have previously stated their opposition to the ILT20, given the number of spots available for overseas players.
The tournament clashes with franchise leagues in Australia, South Africa and Bangladesh, at a time when the international cricket calendar is also at its busiest.
There is a thought more Australian players could bulk up the ILT20 in coming years, once the BBL is shortened to a 43-game season that ends in January.