- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
England's Bukayo Saka says social media platforms are not doing enough to prevent online racist abuse after he was on the receiving end following his European Championship final missed penalty against Italy.
Five people have so far been arrested in connection with online abuse directed at England players Saka, Marcus Rashford and Jadon Sancho after they all missed spot kicks in the 3-2 shootout loss to Italy.
Saka - who was reduced to tears after the final - has penned an apology to the fans as the country's 55-year trophy drought was extended.
The 19-year-old thanked those who sent him messages of support and campaigned on his behalf, saying: "Love always wins" but vowed to stand strong against the hateful messages he received online.
"My reaction post-match said it all, I was hurting so much and I felt like I'd let you all and my England family down, but I can promise you this: I will not let that moment or the negativity that I've received this week break me," Saka said on Twitter on Thursday.
"To the social media platforms Instagram, Twitter and Facebook, I don't want any child or adult to have to receive the hateful and hurtful messages that me, Marcus and Jadon have received this week.
"I knew instantly the kind of hate that I was about to receive and that is a sad reality that your powerful platforms are not doing enough to stop these messages."
The three players were targeted on social media after the final, with the racial abuse prompting a police investigation and country-wide condemnation.
The UK Football Policing Unit (UKFPU) issued a statement saying four people had been arrested.
But within hours of its release Cheshire Police confirmed a further arrest of a 42-year-old man from Runcorn as part of an investigation into a racist social media message.
"The racial abuse aimed at our own players following Sunday night's game is utterly vile and has quite rightly shocked and appalled people across the country," said Chief Constable Mark Roberts, the National Police Chiefs' Council football policing lead.
"Our England team have been true role models during the tournament, conducting themselves with professionalism and dignity.
"I'm disgusted there are individuals out there who think it's acceptable to direct such abhorrent abuse at them, or at anybody else.
"If we identify that you are behind this crime, we will track you down and you will face the serious consequences of your shameful actions."
Meanwhile, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has promised to tackle online abuse, but he and other ministers have been accused of hypocrisy for not condemning those who booed the players at the start of the tournament for their "taking the knee" anti-racism protest.