Stay balanced using fresh summer ingredients — make this grapefruit and peach salad!
Adriana Urbina is an In The Know cooking contributor. Follow her on Instagram and visit her website for more.
One of our favorite things about summer is the appearance of seasonal summer produce.
Lots of fruits and veggies are at their peaks during the summer months from June through August. Along with their high water content, fruits and veggies also provide a lot of vitamins that can help you to beat the heat.
When you consume seasonal produce, you get richer flavor and fuller nutrient composition because your produce is picked at peak ripeness. Buying produce seasonally also allows you to buy locally, supporting your local farmers with a nod to sustainability.
Below is a list of fruits and vegetables that are considered to fall under the category of summer produce, so keep an eye out for them at your local market. Keep reading for a delicious recipe for a garlicky-tart salad that makes the most out of summer fruits:
Refreshing Summer Grapefruit and Peach Salad
Yields two servings
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1 large or two medium ruby red grapefruits
1 large peach
1/2 cups plain, unsweetened whole-milk Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
8 mint leaves
1 garlic clove, minced
4 tablespoons pomegranate (optional)
1. Slice a thin layer off the top and bottom of the grapefruit and peaches. Standing the fruit upright, slice downward, rotating the fruit to remove the peel and pith.
2. Segment half of your grapefruit and juice the leftover half in a separate bowl.
3. Add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the grapefruit juice and mix.
4. Stir together the yogurt and the minced garlic spread on a serving platter. Arrange citrus slices on top of the yogurt mixture; sprinkle pomegranate seeds and walnuts, then drizzle the grapefruit and olive oil on top.
5. Garnish with fresh mint leaves.
If you enjoyed this story, check out these tips for organizing your kitchen this summer!
The post Stay balanced using fresh summer ingredients — make this grapefruit and peach salad! appeared first on In The Know.