Queensland seethe over 'illegal' tackle that KO'd Cameron Munster

Andrew Reid
·5-min read
Seen here, the incident that saw Cameron Munster rubbed out early in Origin Game II.
The Tyson Frizell tackle that led to Cameron Munster's head knock has been slammed by Queensland fans. Pic: Getty

Cameron Munster's exit after just two minutes proved to be one of the defining moments of a horror Origin Game II for Queensland.

The Maroons five-eighth's head knock added injury to insult as the Queenslanders were humbled 34-10 by NSW to send the State of Origin series to a deciding Game III in Brisbane next week.

DIVIDED: Fans debate NSW hero's act that everyone missed

‘GRUB’ ACT: Maroons star’s cheeky move sparks Origin brawl

‘SHOULD BE ASHAMED’: Crowd's 'disgusting' act during Last Post

Munster had to be taken from the field for a concussion test after landing on his head, following a heavy collision with NSW forward Tyson Frizell.

The 26-year-old was wobbly on his feet as he attempted to stand up and was escorted up the tunnel by Maroons medical staff.

Frizell was racing through to try and gather a kick from Nathan Cleary, which Munster managed to defuse in his own in-goal area.

Realising he was second to the footy, the Blues forward wrapped his arms around Munster before the Maroons player came crashing down heavily to the turf.

Referee Gerard Sutton didn't see anything in the incident that warranted a penalty but angry Maroons fans were convinced Frizell tackled their player in the air and should have been penalised.

Writing for Queensland's Courier Mail, journalist Travis Meyn described it as an "illegal" tackle that should see Frizell charged with dangerous contact.

"Munster was airborne in Queensland’s in-goal when he defused a bomb, only to be taken out by Blues forward Tyson Frizell,” Meyn wrote.

"With his feet in the air, Munster was defenceless as he was caught by Frizell, causing his head to slam into the ground.

"Frizell made no attempt to play for the ball, instead collecting Munster and causing him to suffer a head injury severe enough to miss 78 minutes of the game."

Plenty of outraged viewers agreed that Frizell should have been punished over the incident.

Other viewers didn't see the incident the same way, however.

Many fans disagreed with the assertion that Frizell wasn't competing for the footy and suggested a suspension would be harsh on the Blues forward.

Maroons coach Wayne Bennett refused to blame Frizell for the incident that rubbed his star five-eighth out of the contest.

“I didn’t see it well enough. It probably looked to me like he hit his own head going down on the ground,” Bennett said.

“I haven’t seen the vision well enough to have a real definitive point of view.”

Maroons star to be closely monitored before decider

Munster must now pass stringent concussion guidelines if he is to play the Origin decider in Brisbane next Wednesday.

The Maroons five-eighth will be monitored over the coming days for concussion symptoms, despite passing the HIA test during Game II.

Queensland's team doctor Matt Hislop took to Twitter to clarify reports Munster had failed a head injury assessment, saying his 'category 1' symptom of poor balance meant he was unable to return to the field regardless of his HIA results.

Category 1 symptoms include loss of consciousness, no protective action in falling to the ground, confusion and disorientation and motor incoordination.

After whacking his head into the ground as he took a kick in goal, Munster struggled to get to his feet and fell over twice before he was helped from the field.

Hislop said Munster passed the HIA which includes a series of questions in the medical room, but his 'cat 1' symptoms after the hit were enough to rule him out of the game.

Cameron Munster is seen here playing for the Maroons in State of Origin.
Cameron Munster is now a doubt for the Origin decider at Suncorp Stadium. Pic: AAP

Munster will now need to pass a six-stage concussion protocol with no setbacks to be cleared to play.

"Players are rested and monitored for signs of deterioration," Hislop Tweeted.

"A repeat SCAT 5 is performed and if passed a graduated return to play is commenced.

"Prior to starting contact a player must pass an additional computer based cognigram test.

"The NRL have clear guidelines on safely returning a concussed player to sport.

"Thankfully most 'simple' concussions resolve completely within 7-10 days (in adults)."

Importantly, the Queensland coach said Munster appeared "fine" in the sheds following the game, saying he's confident the star will be cleared to play in the decider.

"All indications are that he's fine. He has no history of head knocks, which helps," Bennett said.

with AAP

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.