Rugby Australia feels the SANZAAR alliance will continue next year despite the decision by world champions South Africa to pull out of the Rugby Championship.
SANZAAR confirmed on Friday the drawcard Springboks had withdrawn from the tournament that also involves the Wallabies, All Blacks and Argentina in a blow for the bottom line.
The shortened schedule and the broadcast implications are likely to have a big financial impact for all teams, who had agreed to split the revenue.
The competition will now proceed as a Tri-Nations, getting under way later this month and played across six weeks, with Argentina already in Australia preparing.
RA boss Rob Clarke admitted they had anticipated the withdrawal of the Springboks but were disappointed by the late timing of it with the first match on October 31.
"It's not our prepared outcome clearly but in light of what decision South Africa made, we were ready for it," Clarke said on Friday.
"Yes, more notice would have been great because it would have taken some of the pressure off but the outcome is the same and we're just going to move on."
Tournament organisers offered South Africa varied schedules including less games but were told on the advice of independent medical experts that for player welfare reasons it was insufficient.
Preparing to host the British and Irish Lions in a money-spinner tour next year, one theory is that Springboks didn't want to taint their status with below par performances in their first matches since winning the World Cup last year.
Clarke said they looked at bringing in a replacement team, such as a Barbarians outfit, and had gone as far as scoping possible players but felt the limited preparation and COVID-19 related restrictions made it near impossible.
While South Africa's ties to northern hemisphere rugby are strengthening, Clarke felt they still committed to SANZAAR and hoped the four-nation tournament would resume next year.
"I think all of us around the joint venture table have committed to the Rugby Championship.
"South Africa has expressed overtly its commitment to the TRC into the future."
South African Rugby boss Jurie Roux said in statement that while SANZAAR and Rugby Australia did their best to accommodate the Springboks they felt they needed to make a final call.
"SANZAAR and Rugby Australia have bent over backwards to make the tournament happen and it would have been unfair on them and their partners and state government to delay a decision any longer," Roux said.
"This is a hugely disappointing outcome for supporters and commercial partners but ... we are unable to deliver a Springbok team without seriously compromising player welfare, apart from other logistical challenges."
The six-match Tri-Nations will see each of the three teams play each other twice, with matches to be hosted in Sydney, Brisbane and Newcastle.
The first two matches involving Australia and New Zealand double up as the final two Bledisloe Cup series matches.
TRI-NATIONS MATCH SCHEDULE
October 31: Australia v New Zealand (ANZ Stadium, Sydney)
November 7: Australia v New Zealand (Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane)
November 14: New Zealand v Argentina (Bankwest Stadium, Sydney)
November 21: Argentina v Australia (McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle)
November 28: Argentina v New Zealand (McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle)
December 5: Australia v Argentina (Bankwest Stadium, Sydney)