Souths star Walker investigated by police

Pamela Whaley
Cody Walker (l) has spoken to police about being blackmailed over an incident last year

South Sydney star Cody Walker says he was emotional and grieving when he was filmed kicking a man in the chest in an altercation in December.

The Rabbitohs half is being investigated by NSW Police after a bizarre video emerged online showing him in a street fight in Casino last year.

Detectives from Richmond Police District have commenced an investigation into the brawl and claims footage from the incident has been used in a blackmail attempt against Walker for $20,000.

The original incident was not reported to police.

In an interview with Channel Nine, Walker said he was going through an emotional period after the suicide of his cousin, and seeing her brother in a fight made him want to intervene to protect him.

"Seeing her brother, who is my first cousin, seeing him fight, the first thing that popped in my head was 'I just need to stop it'," he said.

"It was a very emotional time for myself and the family leading into that week and it was not a true reflection of my character and who I am as a person."

In the video, two men are facing off in the street when a shirtless Walker charges into the frame, kicking one man in the chest and sending him stumbling backwards.

The NSW State of Origin half is later seen being ushered away from the scene by an unknown person when a second confrontation sparks up and is eventually defused.

Walker also confirmed he had been drinking at the time and has since given up alcohol for a second time.

While South Sydney claimed in a statement the incident occurred in October last year, police say the altercation took place on December 1.

"An investigation is underway after threats were made against a 30-year-old man over the phone, about 7.45pm on Saturday 16 May 2020," a NSW Police statement read.

"The matter was reported to police about 1pm yesterday (Sunday 17 May 2020) and officers from South Sydney Police Area Command have commenced an investigation.

"Subsequently, detectives from Richmond Police District commenced an investigation into an affray in Casino on 1 December 2019.

"Police have been told a group of males were involved in a brawl on a street in Casino, which was diffused a short time later."

Walker was due to speak to the NRL's integrity unit on Monday afternoon as they begin an investigation into the incident, and told Nine he would accept any punishment handed down without appeal.

"Whatever the game, the club come up with, that's going to happen," he said.

"I won't be appealing. I'm very, very sorry. I left a lot of people down, my family, the club, the fans, the members, the game."

Walker underwent shoulder surgery in early November and is understood to have used his feet in the altercation because he could not use his arms.

Going on NSW Police information, Walker would have been one month post-surgery when the fight occurred.

The NRL is yet to make an official statement although it's understood the integrity unit probe could take time given a police investigation is running concurrently.

However, with the season set to kick off on May 28, both the club and NRL are eager to resolve the issue.

The Rabbitohs are due to play arch-rivals Sydney Roosters in a highly anticipated clash on May 29, with Walker now in doubt to play pending the outcome of the integrity unit.

Any suspension handed down to Walker would be a massive blow for the Rabbitohs, who are already without star centre James Roberts who has entered a rehabilitation facility for mental health help.