- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
After beating cancer and then overcoming a serious knee injury, Melbourne centre Marion Seve isn't taking game time for granted.
Seve earned high praise from Craig Bellamy following their 26-18 win over the Sydney Roosters, scoring two tries and making three line breaks with the Storm coach saying it was the best game he had played for the club.
The performance was a relief for Seve, who admitted he was still finding his feet after injury and COVID-19 limited his career to just 25 games in four seasons.
"It was a big relief ... the last couple of weeks was pretty tough for me, not playing as good as I know I can," Seve said on Tuesday.
"That was my fourth game this year and I only played two games last year so I'm building slowly and each week is a confidence booster."
A schoolboy star, who will be reunited with his Keebra Park State High teammate Te Maire Martin when the Storm host Brisbane on Friday night, Seve's plans for a NRL career looked in doubt when he was diagnosed with testicular cancer as a 17-year-old.
The stage three cancer also spread to his liver and underwent four rounds of chemotherapy and an operation before being given the all-clear.
The Ipswich native, who is the youngest of seven, was signed by Wests Tigers and moved to Sydney in 2014.
But the pull of home became too great when his father Vaili was diagnosed with terminal cancer and his manager was able to orchestrate a release to join the Broncos.
Seve then shifted to Melbourne in 2018, making his NRL debut a year later.
Just as he was settling into first grade he suffered a season-ending knee injury in round seven in 2020.
"I've been through a lot so I've got that mindset that I'm a pretty determined person so if I want something I'm going to try my hardest to get it," he said.
"I've had a lot of support on and off the field ... it was mentally tough at times but the people around me got me through it and and I'm extremely grateful to be back playing again.
"The journey I've been through with cancer and everything sets me up for whatever challenge I go through ... it's not life-threatening so I can get through whatever."
Seve was only re-signed by the Storm late last year on a train-and-trial contract and must be in the sights of NRL newcomers, the Dolphins.
"I'm just playing week by week and hopefully I can secure something in the future," Seve, who has also earned two caps for Samoa, said.
Seve is likely to get another start against the Broncos at AAMI Park with Melbourne set to take a cautious approach with Ryan Papenhuyzen's return.
The superstar fullback is nearing a comeback after a hamstring and PCL injury however the Storm look likely to give him extra time given there's two weeks until their next fixture due to representative round.