Sergio Perez has become the first Formula 1 driver to miss a race because of a positive coronavirus test.
Perez tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday and has been ruled out of Sunday’s British Grand Prix. The positive test came after Perez’s first coronavirus test was inconclusive.
"Perez has entered self-quarantine in accordance with the instructions of the relevant public health authorities, and will continue to follow the procedure mandated by those authorities," a statement from the FIA said.
"With assistance of the local organiser of the British Grand Prix, local health authorities and the FIA COVID-19 delegate, a full track and trace initiative has been undertaken and all close contacts have been quarantined.”
"The procedures set out by the FIA and Formula 1 have provided for swift containment of an incident that will have no wider impact on this weekend’s event."
The Formula 1 season was stopped just before it was set to begin in Australia in March because of the coronavirus pandemic. The season began in Austria in July and resumes after a week off with practice at Silverstone on Friday ahead of Sunday’s race.
“Sergio is physically well and in good spirits, but he will continue to self-isolate under the guidelines of the relevant public health authorities, with safety the ultimate priority for the team and the sport,” his Racing Point team said in a statement.
Racing Point said it was still planning to field two cars in Sunday’s race, but a replacement for Perez was not immediately named.
The team has been one of the faster teams behind Mercedes through three F1 races so far. Racing Point — which gets its engines from Mercedes — basically copied Mercedes’ car design from 2019 for the 2020 season and it’s paid off. Perez is sixth in the standings ahead of Ferrari’s Charles LeClerc and Sebastian Vettel and teammate Lance Stroll is eighth and also ahead of Vettel.
F1 announced earlier in the week that it wouldn’t be coming to North or South America this year. Races in Canada, the United States (in Austin), Mexico and Brazil have been called off because of the coronavirus pandemic. The series has been announcing races across Europe as the continent has the coronavirus contained more than other parts of the world and also as a way to limit travel for teams.
– – – – – – –
Nick Bromberg is a writer for Yahoo Sports.
More from Yahoo Sports: