Serbians Urged to Disarm Following Deadly Gun Attacks
Police in Serbia on May 14 displayed firearms, explosives, and ammunition seized or voluntarily turned in by citizens in a nationwide disarmament campaign following two deadly shootings earlier in the month.
Footage by Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) shows a collection of weapons in the town of Smederevo on May 14 as well as a protest in Belgrade on May 12, it said.
According to reports, around 13,500 weapons have been collected since the campaign began, including hand grenades, automatic weapons, and anti-tank rocket launchers.
President Aleksandar Vucic, who can be seen in the footage, said on Twitter he was proud of those who had handed in weapons. “The action is very important for the greater safety of all citizens of Serbia.”
The government promised to crack down on unregistered weaponry and tighten gun-license rules after the shooting attacks, RFE/RL said. Credit: Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty via Storyful