Second Protea tests positive for COVID-19

·1-min read

A second South Africa cricketer has tested positive for the coronavirus ahead of the Twenty20 and ODI series against England.

The positive test was announced on Friday by Cricket South Africa and followed a first positive test in the Proteas squad earlier in the week.

South Africa now have at least four players in isolation, two who have tested positive and another two who were isolated because they had come in close contact with one of the players.

The tour, arranged on short notice after the virus badly affected international cricket, is England's first trip overseas during the pandemic and is due to begin next Friday.

South Africa haven't played any cricket since March.

The latest player was isolated from the squad and "moved to separate, appropriate accommodation with immediate effect," CSA said.

The positive test at the team hotel in Cape Town brings complications because England are staying at the same hotel and both squads are now supposed to be in a "biosafe environment" before the start of the series.

CSA won't name any players who've tested positive because of doctor-patient confidentiality.

The ECB said the tourists had no positive tests and would go ahead with an intra-squad practice game at the Newlands cricket ground on Saturday.

South Africa, though, had to cancel their planned practice match on the same day.

All six matches will be in Cape Town and the nearby city of Paarl to limit travel for players and officials in a country which has the highest number of confirmed virus cases in Africa at more than 750,000. No spectators will be allowed.