Scarlets ease to Judgement Day win against Dragons

Scarlets hooker Ryan Elias and Dragons number eight Aaron Wainwright have played in the last two World Cups

United Rugby Championship: Scarlets v Dragons

Scarlets (17) 32

Tries: Mathias, Davis, Lewis 2 Pens: Costelow 2 Cons: Costelow 2, Lloyd

Dragons (3) 15

Tries: Tomkinson 2 Con: Reed Pen: Reed

Scarlets finished a difficult season on a high with a comfortable bonus-point 32-15 win against Dragons in the opening Judgement Day derby at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Two tries from wing Tomi Lewis with further scores from Kemsley Mathias and Dan Davis, plus 10 points from Wales fly-half Sam Costelow ensured victory in the United Rugby Championship (URC) contest.

Sio Tomkinson, who is leaving Dragons at the end of the season, spearheaded a late revival with two tries.

Wales head coach Warren Gatland, who names his summer squad on Monday, will be concerned by the sight of Dragons number eight Aaron Wainwright limping off at half-time, although coach Flanagan described it as just a "dead leg".

Scotland lock Alex Craig was again outstanding as he was awarded the player-of-the-match accolade, while flanker Taine Plumtree would have impressed Gatland.

It was the first time Scarlets have enjoyed back-to-back wins this season as they finished 13th in the table.

The result for Dwayne Peel's side avenges defeat in this fixture last season and a loss at Rodney Parade earlier in this campaign.

Zebre's defeat to Glasgow on Friday night meant 15th-placed Dragons would not finish bottom but it has been another poor campaign for Dai Flanagan's side.

Dragons included flanker Ryan Woodman and centre Joe Westwood, while scrum-half Rhodri Williams led the side, but hooker Elliot Dee was missing with an ankle injury.

Aneurin Owen, the Dragons centre, and Scarlets prop Mathias were making their 50th appearance for their regions and led the sides out.

Scarlets had recalled Costelow and Samoa lock Sam Lousi but the duo made inauspicious starts.

Costelow missed touch while going for an attacking line-out, while Lousi was penalised for a no-arms tackle on Dragons prop Rhodri Jones that allowed Will Reed to open the scoring with a penalty kick.

Scarlets levelled through Costelow after Rio Dyer was penalised, before the fly-half missed another kick at goal and then almost created a try for Lewis.

Centre Eddie James was shown a yellow card for a tackle on opposite number Owen, who was forced off the field with a head injury.

Squad skipper Steff Hughes replaced Owen and his cross-kick almost set up a try for Dyer, but the Wales wing ran out of room under pressure from Scarlets full-back Ioan Nicholas.

Costelow also left for a HIA in an incident where Wainwright picked up his injury. But Costelow's replacement, Ioan Lloyd, was involved in a slick Scarlets second try.

Scrum-half Gareth Davies started the move, which was carried on by Lousi and Lloyd before Lewis provided the try-scoring pass to flanker Davis.

The final pass was checked by the television match official (TMO) but the try was awarded, with Lloyd converting.

Scarlets led 17-3 at half-time with Costelow returning to the field, while Dyer gifted Scarlets a third try when his flick found opposite number Lewis who sprinted away to score.

Lewis grabbed a double and the bonus-point score before being helped off the field injured.

Replacement Dragons wing Sio Tomkinson pounced for two tries, but Costelow added a late penalty to dismiss any thoughts of a Dragons comeback.

Scarlets: Ioan Nicholas; Tomi Lewis, Johnny Williams, Eddie James, Ryan Conbeer; Sam Costelow, Gareth Davies; Kemsley Mathias, Ryan Elias (capt), Harri O’Connor, Alex Craig, Sam Lousi, Taine Plumtree, Dan Davis, Carwyn Tuipulotu.

Replacements: Shaun Evans, Wyn Jones, Sam Wainwright, Morgan Jones, Jarrod Taylor, Kieran Hardy, Ioan Lloyd, Macs Page.

Sin-bin: Eddie James 31

Dragons: Ewan Rosser; Rio Dyer, Joe Westwood, Aneurin Owen, Chris Hollis; Will Reed, Rhodri Williams (capt); Rhodri Jones, Brodie Coghlan, Chris Coleman, Ben Carter, Matthew Screech, Ryan Woodman, Taine Basham, Aaron Wainwright.

Replacements: James Benjamin, Rodrigo Martinez, Dmitri Arhip, George Nott, Dan Lydiate, Che Hope, Steff Hughes, Sio Tomkinson.

Referee: Craig Evans (WRU)

Assistant referees: Rhys Jones, Nathan James (WRU)

TMO: Keith David (WRU).