Page 1 of 5
Sort By:
Newest First
Oldest First
RiDdLeR
28 Apr 2010

Sign in to report this post.

Posted Mon 22 Aug 2011 13:25
Last game of the tri nations and it is set to be a cracker. The best 2 nations in the world square off for the bragging rights of Tri Nations champion.

The All Blacks that take the field this week will be completely different to those that took the field against the boks. They wont treat this like a trial match where they play their fringe players. The best squad available will take the field. For the Wallabies this will be Horwills first game as captain and in his home town of Brisbane.
I cant see either side holding back for this encounter. Wallabies will be desperate here. They haven't won the tri nations for 10 years and Bledisloe for 8 despite seemingly always beating NZ in the games that count (according to Ado anyway). On the other side of the ledger, the All Blacks will be looking to retain the tri nations and deliver another psychological blow to the Wallabies on the eve of the world cup.
Mixed week in both camps. The Wallabies have an scandal with O'Bieber which will bring a lot of unwanted distraction their way. Will likely see him miss the game as well which will hurt the Australian backline.
With the All Blacks, a lot of ill informed people are reading way too much into their South African loss and questioning their credibility as World Cup favorite. Those informed know this match was totally irrelevant and the All Blacks didnt really care about the result. Still the press seem to think cracks are appearing and all it does is provide fuel.

Both sides should be at full strength for this, with possibly O'Bieber for the Aussie the only significant player missing. With O'Bieber out the backlines are very even but in the forwards the All Blacks once again hold a distinct advantage. However the home ground will see Aussie lift like they generally do at home.

This will be a close affair I feel. Both sides have a lot of attacking power and very staunch defense. Tipping to All Blacks to win this by 4 points and retain the tri nations
Zedds
27 Feb 2011

Posted Mon 22 Aug 2011 22:19
JOC Biebers out.

What a clown, fancy missing the WC squad big day because you're hung over. A fews roo's running around loose in the top paddock.

A few of the older boys will not be very pleased at all.
Mel
08 Oct 2008

Posted Tue 23 Aug 2011 00:19
I am not too confidant on this game. I think the WAL r in with a real chance. Of dijese the AB r going to be stinging from last weeks loss. I would have to disagree with u Riddler, the game last week did count. Just ask every AB who played and they will tell u they hated to loose it. So, game on!!! Blessings Mel
Zedds
27 Feb 2011

Zedds
27 Feb 2011

Posted Tue 23 Aug 2011 04:45

Shows just how much work Thompson and SBW did in defence, Whitelocks figures were pretty good to.

Thomo's penalties were a disaster though.
Mark
01 Jul 2009

Posted Tue 23 Aug 2011 06:56
I think if you read between the lines then the wallabies camp is not in the greatest shape. You cant tell me the eleventh hour change of the most important player in your team isn't upsetting at least a few in the squad. Then there's leaving out Giteau, a 92 test veteran that would have stepped in easily if one of the "stars" was to fall. Then there are rumours that Quade was drinking the night before the Eden park match and now O'Conner.
Can a kiwi really sort this out?
I don't imagine there's great team unity at the moment.
ado tornado

Posted Tue 23 Aug 2011 07:35
Get your hand off it Mark. The choice of Horwill has been hailed by everyone as 'inspired'. read Mark Ella's column last weekend in the Oz and you'll get a much better idea of where everyone sits.

I applaud it because it he has the respect of everyone in the squad, is a proven leader and  winner.  And now the 6 jersey will be awarded on form.

The non selection of Giteau was also made on form and every man in the squad knows it. When you've got O'Connor, O'Bieber, Faingaa, Barnes all of whom  played 12 at test level and are in form, where's the room for sideways running Gitz? Deans was asked point blank  on the Rugby Club about whether he had personal issues with Gits and he gave a straight answer without a words of hesitation - No. And Deans does like to hesitate before he speaks.

Rumours are rumours and designed to do one thing. Sell papers. It's like the supposed 'Blue' between Cooper, Beale and O'Connor in Paris last year. I mean the guys are best mates. Were then, are now.

Do you really think O'Bieber would be coming to Melbourne if he had a serious blue with the best mate.(Beale) The man who was pivotal in getting him to join the Rebels. Besides the last fight they to into trouble for  was a food fight....If that's the depth of evil behaviour they get up to then we don't have much to worry about.

RiDdLeR
28 Apr 2010

Posted Tue 23 Aug 2011 09:09
Mel, agree with being not too confident about this game. Played in NZ we would win hands down but Aussie at home and Aussie away are two different beasts. I think it will be close and I am tipping an absolute ripper of a game. I think the dominance we have in the forwards and the cheap penalties we will get at scrum time could be the difference here. O'Bieber is also a huge hole to fill for a team lacking serious depth
Bish
26 Jun 2009

Posted Tue 23 Aug 2011 09:14
Inspired? how long doe's it take to see what was so obvious to so many of us for so long. Hell, I brought this up last year. After nearly 4 years with a miserable record to boot it take's till the eve of the World Cup to change the most critical person in the team. Deans who was employed to take this side to the world cup just highlighted the inconsistency of the wallabies by changing the captain in the eleventh hour. You have had how long to settle this side? That has to cause some tension in the team. Now he's got ill discipline within the team and has had to shut the door on players that I think the squad needs.

Look, in the end I don't think the decision is a bad one, I just think the timing is shocking when you've had so long to settle a side. If Henry changed the Captain in today's announcement there would be an out cry that the ABs are "panicking" and if one of our players were in O'Conners position the talk would be of a team in crisis.

But hey, thats blind Australian optimism I suppose.

RiDdLeR
28 Apr 2010

Posted Tue 23 Aug 2011 15:47
15. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
13. Anthony Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)
12. Pat McCabe (Brumbies)
11. Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)
10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
8. Radike Samo (Queensland Reds)
7. David Pocock (Western Force)
6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies)
5. James Horwill (Queensland Reds, captain)
4. Dan Vickerman (NSW Waratahs)
3. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
1. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)

Run on Reserves:

16. Saia Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)
17. Salesi Ma’afu (Brumbies)
18. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
19. Ben McCalman (Western Force)
20. Scott Higginbotham (Queensland Reds)
21. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
22. To be advised

Thats the Wobbly squad. To be referee'd by every New Zealanders favorite referee. The scumbag who cost us in 2007 Wayne Barnes. 
Tim S
09 Oct 2008

Posted Tue 23 Aug 2011 16:02

I like the forward pack Ridds.
Samo,Vickerman,Horwill,Elsom and Moore have some mongral in them but I'd still start with Sharpe but it stll gives us some size.
Only problem i see is Mcabe at 12.I thought that experiment was over but i guess O'conner's put paid to some of that.Still i'd prefer to see a specilist winger on against these guys.Nonu will target McCabe i reckon and hopefully AAC can handle the change to wing.
Building nicely to an epic test match..
Bish
26 Jun 2009

Posted Tue 23 Aug 2011 17:24
Great looking Wallabies team. Should be a cracker of a game.
RiDdLeR
28 Apr 2010

Posted Tue 23 Aug 2011 18:25
Hoping it will be a good one Bish but with that #$%$ Wayne Barnes refereeing I can sense this being ruined by the most incompetent referee to ever officiate an international rugby game
Tim S
09 Oct 2008

Posted Tue 23 Aug 2011 19:04
Ridds, I can understand your dislike of Barnes but I have seen him officiate some quite good games of footy.He lets the game flow quite a bit.He is a bit like Lawrence,the SA ref, not bloody Bryce who has a pen up his azz.
Zedds
27 Feb 2011

Posted Tue 23 Aug 2011 19:39
It was a bad descision making him Captain at the beginning and the desicion was more necessary than inspired to correct the initial mistake.
Grist
28 May 2010

Posted Tue 23 Aug 2011 19:42
Thinking back to the dreadful Super final at the same field between the Ozzies and Kiwis, I am not holding my breath for this game. Add in that Oz/Nz again refused to use the service of a world class South African referee while employed another shocker and you have the recipe for a lame game.

The ABs will be low in confidence after their devastating loss to the SBs. It will worry them wild. Riddler's buttock clench may worsen over the weekend (Riddler - use a screw driver, like when you open an oyster).

The WBs have been busy all week with another Jerry Springer show - the usual lurid and lewed behaviour that goes as standard. Not really a distraction as Australians are used to this sort of thing, but the team may arrive late for the game Saturday after the drunken brawl at breakfast and the food fight at lunch.

The SBs will hope the ABs and WBs bash each other to pieces. QC, Beale and O'Bieber tried at the hotel, but were too drunk to succeed.... 
Bish
26 Jun 2009

Posted Wed 24 Aug 2011 07:33
Okay this is the team I would roll out this weekend

1. Owen Franks,
2. Keven Mealamu,
3. Tony Woodcock.
4. Brad Thorn,
5. Ali Williams,
6. Jerome Kaino,
7. Richie McCaw (capt),
8. Kieran Read,

9. Piri Weepu,
10. Daniel Carter,
11. Cory Jane,
12. Ma'a Nonu,
13. Conrad Smith,
14. Isaia Toeava,
15. Mils Muliaina,

Reserves
Andrew Hore,
Ben Franks,
Samuel Whitelock,
Adam Thomson,
Jimmy Cowan,
Israel Dagg,
Richard Kahui or Sonny Bill Williams.
Bish
26 Jun 2009

Posted Wed 24 Aug 2011 07:40
I make that 10 changes to the starting side that lost in South Africa so I don't imagine their confidence will come into play. If anything it will be greatly enhanced as they look at who is beside them.
This team has probably 4 or 5 players coming into it that are the best in that position in the World.
The difference will be huge.
RiDdLeR
28 Apr 2010

Posted Wed 24 Aug 2011 12:51
I would use 12 of those you suggested Bish. I wouldnt use Softcocck in the front row. Not after his embarrassing display against the Boks. We need mongrel up front. I would use Williams from the bench and go with Whitelock. Basically the crusader tight five with Mealamu in place of Flynn. Toeava is rubbish on the wing. Guilford for me any day. He is twice the player of Toeava.

1. Owen Franks, 
2. Keven Mealamu, 
3. Ben Franks
4. Brad Thorn, 
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Jerome Kaino, 
7. Richie McCaw (capt), 
8. Kieran Read,

9. Piri Weepu, 
10. Daniel Carter, 
11. Cory Jane, 
12. Ma'a Nonu, 
13. Conrad Smith, 
14. Zac Guilford
15. Mils Muliaina, 
muzz

Posted Wed 24 Aug 2011 21:36

Almost right Riddles & Bish

1. Owen Franks,
2. Keven Mealamu,
3. Ben Franks
4. Brad Thorn,
5. Sam Whitelock
6. Jerome Kaino,
7. Richie McCaw (capt),
8. Kieran Read,

9. Piri Weepu,
10. Daniel Carter,
11. Cory Jane,
12. Ma'a Nonu,
13. Conrad Smith,
14. Zac Guilford
15. Israel Dagg

And I'd even consider risking SBW at 12 - he needs the game time IMO and is overdue for a blinder - let's face it - he's more likely to fire when in this sort of company.

Barnes needs to be taken out early IMO... take no chances this time...

For once I don't mind who wins (as long as they wear Black) but see another probable arm wrestle with neither team feeling safe until the post-siren hoof into touch by the "most pointed" fifteen.

Let's face it we all love these games.... even when they are dour, tight, error riddled, penalty fests won on absolutely abominable "missed-forward-pass" calls by pommie referees (no offence Kip).

Muzz

Zedds
27 Feb 2011

Posted Thu 25 Aug 2011 04:32

All Blacks:
Mils Muliaina,
Cory Jane,
Conrad Smith,
Ma'a Nonu,
Zac Guildford,
Dan Carter,
Piri Weepu,
Kieran Read,
Richie McCaw (c),
Adam Thomson,
Sam Whitelock,
Brad Thorn,
Owen Franks,
Keven Mealamu,
Tony Woodcock.

Reserves:
Andrew Hore,
John Afoa,
Ali Williams,
Victor Vito,
Andy Ellis,
Colin Slade,
Isaia Toeava

Kaino not available due to birth of child, Cowan rested, Vito gets to ride the pine.

Great looking line up, Woody will have to improve but have faith. The reserves could be better with Franks, Dagg and Cowan on the bench. I think GH is holding back on the top line 22.
kip
22 Aug 2009

Posted Thu 25 Aug 2011 06:46

Hey Riddler

2 points here

1.  wayne barnes is the best referee in the world (you have a chip mate)
2.  your postulate that abs and wallabies are the best 2 teams in the world - which you insist on repeating - will be blown apart in just a few weeks - YET AGAIN !!!

live the dream -  but you are in for a  harsh realism

kip
Bish
26 Jun 2009

Posted Thu 25 Aug 2011 09:26

Well, we are all slightly off. Me more than the rest I think.
Still holding on to a couple ace's if you ask me.

The right Cattle? Hope so.
Aussie win and they'll be absolutely over the moon and be blowing out the cobwebs in the cabinet with an over the top scream lead by Mr Kearns himself.
If they lose they'll brush it off as "no one cares for the Tri Nations"

I for one care, I don't want to give the tri nations away. The ABs need to get up for this, and I'll be concerned if they don't.

Kip

1. NEW ZEALAND

2.AUSTRALIA

3.SOUTH AFRICA

4.FRANCE

5.ENGLAND

2. Wayne Barnes has improved as a Referee, but on the back of 2007 that wouldn't be hard, all he had to do was turn slightly so he could see both teams :)

RiDdLeR
28 Apr 2010

Posted Thu 25 Aug 2011 14:18
Got 13 of the 15 spots I wanted for this weeks game. Woodcocck in the front row instead of B.Franks and Thomson in over Kaino. Very happy with the run on 15 although Woodcocck will need a big lift IMO.   
ForumsIn the ScrumWallabies All Blacks Game 2
Sign in to post and view your settings
New User? Sign up