Page 1 of 7
Sort By:
Newest First
Oldest First
RiDdLeR
28 Apr 2010

Sign in to report this post.

Posted Mon 01 Aug 2011 14:27
The real rugby starts this weekend when the top two sides in the world square off against each other in what will most likely be a prelude to what will inevitably be the World Cup Final.

The Wallabies have looked a little shaky in their lead up games. Their forwards beaten comprehensively against Samoa and even outplayed against an under-strength Springbok side. Their backline was woeful against Samoa but with the inclusion of Genia, Cooper and O'Connor against the Springboks they looked lethal. 

The All Blacks were ok against Fiji and dominated the set pieces and forward play. They cranked it up a gear against the Springboks and the forwards were very impressive again and Carter, Nonu, Jane and Guilford looking very sharp in the backs.

Both sides have excellent backlines. Genia is the worlds best halfback and lethal if given space. Cooper has some sublime offloading skills and O'Bieber is pure class wherever he plays in the backline. The ABs have their own stars in Carter and very solid players in every other slot. Aussie would have a slight advantage at the halves which are offset by the #$%$39;s advantage in the centres. The outside backs pretty much even themselves out.

The forwards though the #$%$39;s hold a huge advantage. Their tight five is light years ahead of Australia and should dominate throughout the match. The loose forward the ABs also have the edge. 

This game I feel the ABs will be out to make a statement. Its the venue for the world cup final and Australia are the biggest threat in this tournament. Home ground and a vastly superior scrum on their side I can see a 25 point win to the All Blacks as they stamp home a message to the Australians that they will need more than a decent backline to win the world cup. 
Mel
08 Oct 2008

Posted Mon 01 Aug 2011 14:42
It could go that way riddler but then again the ABs could have an off day. In that case the WAL have the ability to win. Going to be a great game
Zedds
27 Feb 2011

Posted Mon 01 Aug 2011 16:32

Wish I shared your confidence Riddler.

The Wall are capable of scoring 25 which means we would have to score 50, not so sure of the margin being so big.

I thought our defense looked vulnerable when the opposition held the ball for long periods and to me this is the key. If the Wal can get good possession they will be hard to stop.

The Allblacks will have to up the aggression in defence to stop the Wal getting any sort of fluency. They will also have to take care of there own ball and not kick it away, especially when inside there own 22, I would rather see it go out than one of those bombs which puts us under pressure.

I think a close battle is on the cards.
kip
22 Aug 2009

Posted Mon 01 Aug 2011 19:29

Riddler

"This game I feel the ABs will be out to make a statement. Its the venue for the world cup final and Australia are the biggest threat in this tournament. "

really?

I rate England, Boks and France before Australia and maybe even the Irish

kip
Mel
08 Oct 2008

Posted Mon 01 Aug 2011 22:09
Kip, The world rankings don't agree with u there.
Grist
28 May 2010

Posted Mon 01 Aug 2011 23:07
>"The real rugby starts this weekend when the top two sides in the world square off against each other in what will most likely be a prelude to what will inevitably be the World Cup Final."<

Typical brainless bleating from the sheep shaggers isolated at the end of the world on two scrappy rocks and a slimy slab that are only good for sheep to poo on.

RSA is having is raging with the Currie Cup. What a show! Most Saffas do not even know the 3N is on. Sorry Oz and Nz, it is not RSA's responsibility to drum up your earnings. You are bankrupt due to poor and ignorant management. SARU is rolling in the money.

The ABs will be hurting, battered and blue after a tame game against the Bok Lite. If the WB cannot take advantage of that, they may as well stay home for the WC. Hope the 2 teams beat each other to pieces, then the fresh SBs can come along and scoop up the WC like 4 yrs ago! 

I am worried that Mutineer Olsom will use the overseas tour to dispose of Robbie Dunce. What better change to stage a munity than in the home country of the coach. Australians like a mutineer as captain of their national team to the WC. If one mutiny was good, then two is better. Go Mutineer! LMAO.
kip
22 Aug 2009

Posted Tue 02 Aug 2011 07:07

Mel riddler

Sorry but I beg to differ

The world rankings like the wallabies are basically flawed

england are a strong rounded team whilst the wallabies are great at touch rugby but not the real deal when it comes to the physical

this will again be shown in the WC

kip
John
23 Nov 2009

Posted Tue 02 Aug 2011 08:15
Gee Grist bit personal aren't you,last time i looked your rand wasn't worth #$%$ and the only time your grandstands are full is when the all blacks and wallabies are in town.
Bish
26 Jun 2009

Posted Tue 02 Aug 2011 08:31
Grist your rants are a pure reflection of your team.
Read of that what you will.

ABs v Wallabies

CRITICAL GAME!
This game is about questions... LIKE
Are Australia really a force? was the last minute victory after a 10 game losing streak just a blip were thay capatilised on a terrible 20minutes of ABs rugby or are they the real deal?
Can the Wallabies really play on the big stage yet as they have shown to fail time and time again against the big boys and against weaker opposition.
What kind of game can we expect AND is this the type of game that will be played at the WC?
Would you chose to expose the Wallabies somewhat obvious weaknesses now or do you wait?
The All Blacks should win, really they should, however if they lose are the Wallabies capable of upsetting them twice in one year at a venue they haven't won at in 25 years?
Grist
28 May 2010

Posted Tue 02 Aug 2011 10:50
Giteau dropped - does anybody still remember this Australian 'superstar'? Kiwi Cooper a much better deal.
Nathan Sharp dropped. South African Vickerman a much more honest worker doing the heavy lifting. Problem is Wb line-out is nonfunctional without Sharp.
Kiwi Dunce steadily dropping Australian players from the Wallaby squad. Stand by for an all foreign born, non-caucasion and rugby league import Wallaby squad!
How about dropping Mutineer Elsom? Bet Kiwi Dunce likes Mutineer Elsom like a hole in the head, but forced to keep him on board as ordered by that serial executive salary increaser, NoDeal O'Neill.
RiDdLeR
28 Apr 2010

Posted Tue 02 Aug 2011 12:28
Currie Cup....Bwahahahahahahahahahaha. Honestly Gristine, your rants are more and more pitiful. What are you going to do Grist when the All Blacks and Australia go to South Africa and crush your A team on their home turf? Nowhere to run then. No excuse to be made although you will no doubt spout heaps of them.

Kip, your are spot on about Australia and their lack of physicality. As I explained to Ado a few months back the Wallaby pack would rate around #7 or 8 in the world and nothing I have seen this season changes that. Their backs though do remain the most lethal in world rugby. Genia is the best halfback in the world and O'Bieber would arguably be the best back in the world. Still England seem to have the formula to beating them and would be a laugh to see you knock them out 3 world cups in a row
Mel
08 Oct 2008

Posted Tue 02 Aug 2011 15:00
Saturday will tell the true story. If the WAL compete well or , heaven forbid, win, then they are in with a good chance at WC. If they get thumped then ENG have a good chance. The jury is out in my book.
RiDdLeR
28 Apr 2010

Posted Tue 02 Aug 2011 17:51
Regardless of Saturdays result, I think we can all agree on one thing. South Africa is no chance  
Tim S
09 Oct 2008

Posted Tue 02 Aug 2011 19:34
U can sorta tell old Ridds is excited about this game..He's bought up the old chestnut about the Wallabies forwards being 6th or 7th in the world and the "classic"we will win by 25 points.lol.
I agree with some of the more,, even minded Kiwi's,, on this board and tend to think it'll be close.
However,I'll conseed there is a few areas in the forwards were the
Black have the edge.
In the front row,Props are the obvious one but Kefu has been playing well and Moore has been playing brilliantly latly.He has regained some old form.Hore as well has hit his straps.Kevvy hasn't played for a few weeks so he might be lacking a bit of match fitness if picked.
I was very surprised that Sharpe wasn't picked for this but weather Deans is giving Timani and Simmons the experience of Auckland could be the reason.Sharpes WC is certainly not over imo.I'd have him over Vickerman.
Kaino is over rated imo and Rocky should account for him.
Poocock is equal if not better than McCaw atm.Hopefully Richie will give away a few silly penalties early(the first 2 of the game against the Boks i think)BUT he is a ledgend and will perform in a big game.
Read is probably the best 8 in the game atm.So cool under pressure but again hasn't played in a while.
The players comming back might take a while to get up to speed so that might work in Oz's favour if they get selected.
The side is picked tommorow so yeah can't wait for this.
Tim S
09 Oct 2008

Posted Tue 02 Aug 2011 19:41
But I do agree with Ridd's  about SA...
vismyr
19 Jul 2009

Posted Wed 03 Aug 2011 11:00
I agree with Riddler -- the All Blacks should win this by about 20 points. Reading some of the build up, Beale and other Wallabies are placing too much emphasis on the last-gasp win in Hong Kong and the Super 15 result, expecting to tear New Zealand apart and appear over-confident. They're talking themselves up (the X-factor is constantly being thrown around by this team) and I think they're in for a shock this weekend.

I expect the All Blacks to take a ruthless forward-controlled approach and not let the Wallabies into this game and certainly won't give Cooper and Genia the space the 'Boks gave them.

Should be a great game -- bring it on!
Tim S
09 Oct 2008

Posted Wed 03 Aug 2011 16:53
Has anyone heard who the ref is ???.
zaq77
12 Mar 2009

Posted Wed 03 Aug 2011 16:55
Ah the boasting and bragging, and put downs from Riddler and Tim, well I hope we will prove you wrong, if not in the 3N, then in the W.C ! Tim S, the Aussies would be nothing, if not for all the foreigners in your team, eg NZ's, PNG, and Zims to name a few ! Wish there was a'' nation of origin'', game played once every 4 years, or so where only players who were born in the country could play.... It would then prove who the greatest nation at Rugby truly is !  Your thoughts?
Grist
28 May 2010

Posted Wed 03 Aug 2011 21:23
Docky Elsom - he has all the traits of a dog except loyalty.
This man is sure to play himself into the record books. First national team captain in history to play the Bledislow Cup and World Cup, with no club back home that wants him.

Why - he is toxic after the failed mutiny at the Bumbies. No club wants to touch him with a barge pole.

Can you imagine how Docky Elsom feels - having to captain your national team while ostracised by your countries rugby clubs?

Can you imagine how coach Deans must feel about sleeping with the enemy? Nobody wants a mutineer on an overseas road trip to win the Bledislow or WC.

Can you imagine how the players must feel about a mutineer captain who was fired from his club and has been shunned ever since by Rugby Australia?

Can you imagine how Oz rugby fans must feel about their WC rugby team with a mutineer captain that will be forced to walk the plank after the WC?

Australia - get rid of this disaster for Gods sake! Docky has never been a good captain. He is at best just short of autistic and at worst a sulking hulk with a morose demeanor. He is physically broken and to be fair, mentally suspect. Dump him now and send a Wallaby captain with some credibility to the WC !!!!!
wezworldtour
19 Apr 2010

Posted Wed 03 Aug 2011 22:48
From rugby365;

New Zealand vs Australia (Tri-Nations)  at  Eden Park, Auckland 
Referee: Craig Joubert (South Africa)
Assistant referees: Marius Jonker (South Africa), Christie Du Preez (South Africa)
Bish
26 Jun 2009

Posted Thu 04 Aug 2011 06:52
There are rumors floating around that there is a bit of conflict in the Wallabies camp and even as far as a split between people within the group.
Has anyone heard more about this?
I know there are some big personalities in the Wallabies, Im wondering if there are a few clashes.
Can a kiwi coach really help if things get a little pear shaped??
I wonder if Giteaus exit is anything to do with this, he's been involved in team breakdowns before
????
Interesting...
Grist
28 May 2010

Posted Thu 04 Aug 2011 14:47
Bish you must have learnt by now that certain questions and topics on this forum are managed by complete silence. In Australian rugby there is not open discussion. That is because of false pretentions, drummed up perceptions, hollow claims and knowing they are parading a smelly charade.
No, Rugby Australia and its fans discuss their games, but when you raise uncomfortable issues the result is sealed lips. No response. Not discussed. Preserve the charade at all costs. Your questions and the Mutineer Elsom issues will not under any circumstances be discussed here. 
That is what is so different on Nz and RSA forums - all issues are discussed vigorously and own CEOs, coaches and captains are all fair game for criticism. 
But not on Oz forums - any uncomfortable issues and they conform to the standard Ozzie approach - silence, swept under the carpet, buried, sealed, not seen, nothing heard, nobody say anything.
So naive really, but on the other hand you can only laugh at them because the whole Australian international rugby effort is a false charade anyway.
RiDdLeR
28 Apr 2010

Posted Thu 04 Aug 2011 15:47
Just seen the team selection and I have to say I am baffled and disgusted by some of the selections. 

Scrum looks great. Very powerful. The forwards that run out on the paddock should have it all over their Aussie counterparts.

Then it goes backwards in a huge way. Weepu starting at halfback. He was awful against the boks. Was too slow, looks out of shape and his passing was terrible. And who is his backup? Andy Ellis, a player I never want to see in an All Black jumper again. A proven dud on the international stage and a definite liability for the All Blacks. Genia must be laughing himself silly know he will be facing an out of form out of shape Weepu or a slow as a snail Ellis. Leaving Cowan out is a HUGE mistake.

Carter, Nonu and Smith are all worthy selections. Muliaina as well. But Gear and Sivivatu on the wings with Guilford and Jane who both played super last week not even included in the 22 is a huge mistake. Sivi is a good inclusion but Gear is unproven at this level and a huge risk. I dont rate Gear and think he is one of the most overrated player in NZ rugby.

Initially I tipped the Blacks to win this one by 25+ but with Cowan out and Weepu/Ellis at halfback and Guilford/Jane overlooked I think we are in grave danger of losing this match.

Awful awful awful selecting. Surprised they didnt recall Donald and put him in instead of Carter. The selectors need to be shot and Deans must be laughing at the prospect of Genia up against Ellis.

I hope I am wrong but the good feelings I had earlier in the week about this game have turned sour with the awful selections made. We have no wing or fullback back up. Mils, Gear or Sivi get injured we are screwed. Does Slade or SBW go on the wing/fullback in this scenario? If Weepu plays to the awful form he did last week, only option is Ellis who is even more retarded.    
Zedds
27 Feb 2011

Posted Thu 04 Aug 2011 16:08

Yeah agree riddler, 7 changes is a big surprise. Would have though Jane was a certainty, can understand Sivi but not Gear and sivi together. The other side of the coin except for the obvious (halfbacks) the bench is very strond and Henry plays the 22 man game not the 15 man game like Deans.
It looks like a grind is in order from those selections.

Not comfortable with these selections at all.
Tim S
09 Oct 2008

Posted Thu 04 Aug 2011 20:04
Well,Weepu to start and Elis the back up..huh !
What happened to Cowan ?
Gear ?No maitland or Guilfored.
The Black selectors are panicking.
Seriously, the oldest team in rugby history has been picked...EVER.
Henry and Hansen are freaking with those selections.
$3.50 for Oz is a good bet.
RiDdLeR
28 Apr 2010

Posted Thu 04 Aug 2011 20:51
I might be backing Aussie at the line in this game. The 9.5 start is enticing now. Cant see a 10+ margin with Weepu/Ellis at halfback. Genia will have a field day
ForumsIn the ScrumAll Blacks vs Wallabies Game 1
Sign in to post and view your settings
New User? Sign up