Advertisement

Robinson wants experienced half to guide Walker in 2025

Trent Robinson has revealed the Sydney Roosters are in the market for an experienced playmaker to replace Luke Keary, but concedes it is unlikely one will materialise.

Keary's shock retirement announcement has thrown a spanner in the Roosters' plans for next season, with close to 1000 games in talent now set to leave the NRL club at year's end.

Robinson views Sam Walker and Sandon Smith as the Roosters' long-term halves, but is mindful both are still only 21.

There is also a wealth of young halves coming through the club, including the highly touted Toby Rodwell who starred in the U19s SG Ball this season.

Robinson is willing to pair Walker and Smith next year if required, but made no secret of the Roosters' desire to land an experienced playmaker to help the process.

"That would be ideal if the player is right," Robinson said.

"If it's not, then we're not going to put someone in front of Sandon that's not of high quality.

"If we think someone is really experienced and can do that (sure). But we are in May. And for next year most of the time they're all signed. So that's difficult.

"Luke was our 30-year-old to help steer the ship with Teddy. That gets thrown out a little bit as far as age.

"But we also really believe in Sandon. So if we have to go young and develop through next year, then we will."

Kieran Foran and Shaun Johnson are both off contract next year, but would be unlikely to move clubs if they play on.

Ben Hunt has previously agitated for a release from St George Illawarra, but his preference has been to return to Queensland.

Robinson did rule out a play for South Sydney halfback Lachlan Ilias, who is free to negotiate but of a similar age and experience to Walker.

What Robinson is confident of is Walker will remain at the Roosters long term, despite the Queensland junior being a possible target for Brisbane in 2026.

Broncos coach Kevin Walters claimed on Thursday he thought it unlikely Walker would leave the Roosters to replace Adam Reynolds in 2026, a belief Robinson also shares.

"Sam's been quite open and we've been quite open," Robinson said.

"We've been on a path here for four years with Sam. We've been very clear about him being our long-term half and developing into that.

"And that plan hasn't changed for us. And as far as I know, it hasn't changed for Sam."

With close to $4 million free in their salary cap, Robinson said the club had recruitment targets and would not rule out a play for Broncos centre Selwyn Cobbo for 2026.

More immediately, the Roosters have lost veteran forward Jared Waerea-Hargreaves to a calf strain for Friday's clash with Brisbane.

Winger Daniel Tupou's return from a knee injury has been aborted, while Victor Radley will not come back this week from a hamstring complaint.