Reds in last-gasp ALW win over Sydney FC

Adelaide United has opened its A-League Women's campaign with an impressive 1-0 win over Sydney FC in Adelaide thanks to an 87th-minute winner.

The goal came in the final minutes of an enthralling clash with both sides creating a stack of chances in wet and blustery conditions on Sunday.

Adelaide United coach Adrian Stenta admitted conditions made the contest a difficult one but was delighted with the victory.

"At the end of the day it probably wasn't our best performance," he said.

"But it was good to get away with the three points."

Sydney had the first clear chance on five minutes when Cortnee Vine burst through the Reds' penalty area before providing the perfect cut back for Mackenzie Hawkesby but her shot was well saved by Annalee Grove.

United worked their way back into the contest after eventually mastering the conditions, and used the strong wind to their advantage.

Vine was involved again for Sydney on 24 minutes when Paige Hayward failed to clear for Adelaide, but the winger dragged her half-volley wide.

The Reds had two chances before halftime with Condon instrumental in both.

Sydney attacked first after the interval with Vine again using her pace in the 50th minute, racing on to a through ball and shooting low and hard forcing a save from Grove.

The visitors almost broke the deadlock from the resulting corner, with a goal-mouth scramble calling Grove into action for the second time in a minute.

Five minutes later and United carved out a great chance to open the scoring after a quick throw-in from Hayward found Fiona Worts inside the area.

The ensuing cutback found Dawber whose curling effort went just past the post.

As the rain began to tumble, Sydney wasted a glorious opportunity to break the deadlock on the hour.

On 87 minutes the Reds finally opened the scoring with a stunning effort from substitute Murray.

Dawber broke on the right and carried the ball down the wing before a pass to the edge of the penalty area.

Murray ran across the box and exquisitely lofted a header over the approaching Whyman who could only watch the ball sail over her head.

Sydney coach Ante Juric conceded his team had enough chances to find the net before Murray's winner.

"It was a tight game; it probably could've gone either way," he said.

"Probably a draw was a fair result but well done to Adelaide."