Canberra Raiders player Curtis Scott will seek over $400,000 in damages from NSW Police over his wrongful arrest in January 2020.
Police prosecutors withdrew the two counts of assaulting a police officer, one of resisting an officer in execution of duty, one of behaving in an offensive manner and one of remaining on Trust lands after being requested to leave when footage of Scott’s arrest was played in court earlier this year.
'IT’S TIME': NRL great's wife spills huge personal 'secret'
Officers had handcuffed Scott as they attempted to rouse him upon finding him passed out under a tree in Sydney’s Moore Park, before later resorting to pepper spraying him.
Magistrate Jennifer Giles described the footage as ‘sickening’ when it was played in court.
“It's drawing a very long frightening bow to argue police can handcuff someone they are trying to wake up while sleeping under a tree,” she said.
. @NRL player Curtis Scott has been awarded $100,000 in costs after being tasered and pepper sprayed by NSW police. Seven charges against him were dropped earlier this month after his barrister argued the officers had assaulted him. pic.twitter.com/bD5f9OISQF
— Sandra Sully 📺🎧📲🏑🌺 (@Sandra_Sully) September 25, 2020
Scott’s lawyer Sam Macedone said at the time Scott’s arrest was ‘unlawful’, and has today told the Sydney Morning Herald the Raiders centre will seek a $400,000 settlement from police.
“We will be asking for $400,000,” Macedone said.
“I think the cops will want to sort it out. It outlines the trauma, the physiological damages, the economic damages and the sponsorship he lost out of it.”
Curtis Scott seeking police payout after ‘unlawful’ arrest
Speaking after the majority of the charges against him and no conviction recorded for the remaining two back in September, Scott said he was relieved to have put the ordeal behind him.
His arrest came soon after signing a five-year contract with the Raiders, with Scott enjoying the full support of head coach Ricky Stuart throughout.
While the charges were dropped against Scott, the NRL saw fit to fine the 23-year-old $15,000 for the drunken night out.
"I'm just happy I can get a full eight hours of sleep at night and not wake up with an anxiety attack," Scott said. "I've been coming in putting on a brave face. Knowing I'm at such a great club that has supported me through it all, and such a great playing group, made it much easier to come in.
"But always laying down in bed thinking, 'If one of these charges stick, I could be out of the workforce' every day is pretty scary."
Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.