Ricky Stuart is hopeful of luring a mystery player to Canberra on a three-year deal.
The Raiders' coach has poured cold water on suggestions the club had considered capping player contracts at only two years.
A report this week mentioned a key reason why forward Junior Paulo looked likely to return to Parramatta was because of the club banning long-term contracts.
But Stuart, and the club's recruitment manager Peter Mulholland, said that was incorrect.
Injured star hooker Josh Hodgson, captain Jarrod Croker and forward Elliott Whitehead all signed lengthy extensions last year.
"We offer contracts or extensions under no obligation to only being two years," Stuart said on Thursday.
"We're in communication with a current player for a three-year deal and we're also in negotiation with a player outside of the club for three years."
Stuart declined to elaborate when pressed on who the players were, but hoped to be able to announce them soon.
Canberra has 14 players coming off contract, including their incumbent halves pairing of Blake Austin and Aidan Sezer, along with Australian and Queensland forward Josh Papalii.
Austin knocked back a deal last year to re-sign with the Raiders, but could still stay at the club after impressing on return from being axed to reserve grade.
The Eels are yet to announce Paulo's prized signature and he hasn't told the Raiders of his plans.