Oliver cops hefty ban

By Sportal, AFP with staff writers, Sportal November 20, 2012, 10:52 am
Damien Oliver

Getty Images © Enlarge photo

Champion jockey Damien Oliver was banned from racing for 10 months after admitting putting money on a rival horse that won a race in which he was riding.

The Australian two-time Melbourne Cup winner was suspended for eight months over the betting scandal and was slapped with another two month ban for using a mobile phone in the jockeys' room prior to the race, which is prohibited.

"I want to apologise to the racing industry. I'm deeply sorry for my actions," Oliver said in a brief statement after the Racing Victoria hearing.

Oliver was stood down last week after he admitted betting on Miss Octopussy in a race at Moonee Valley two years ago, in which he rode sixth-placed Europa Point.

An emotional Oliver read from a statement in a trembling voice during the hearing as he told stewards that at the time of the offence in 2010 he was going through serious personal problems and described it as the "worst period of my life".

"I felt despondent and had lost my belief in my ability as a jockey," Oliver said.

He said he had problems with alcohol and had resorted to binge drinking at that time when his wife had left him and taken their three children with her.

"It was a highly stressful time. I feared I would lose my marriage.

"It was the only time I had ever placed a bet on a rival horse.

"I didn’t consult any other jockey or trainer."

1. C Lily02:49pm Tuesday 20th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Sad day for racing...

2. FrogMan02:30pm Tuesday 20th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Get a grip you posters. Have a heart. It is a fair outcome to my mind.

3. David02:06pm Tuesday 20th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Damien only rides things that are under 4 years old , little c,,t explain to the public the real reason your family left ?

4. RICHARD01:28pm Tuesday 20th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Smug little grub still smiling thinking go punting for 10 months then i,ll give it when i come to riding YEAH RIGHT

5. Geoff5101:23pm Tuesday 20th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

#$%$ cricketers got jail time for bowling a couple no balls for money, of which had no way of influenceing the result of the game, yet oliver bets $10,000 on the winner of a race that he is riding in on 2nd favourate of which finished 6th and gets a few months ban and no fine ?? talk about only a slap over the wrist !! he goes away on a overseas holiday, has a good laugh and comes back and rides in the next years spring carnival, what a joke and it highlights that racing victoria has no real interest in cleaning up the racing industry as also shown by letting oliver ride in the spring carnival knowing him to be guilty...WHOLE OUTCOME IS.A COMPLETE JOKE

6. john12:52pm Tuesday 20th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

10 months out of the saddle for him would be a big fine probably more than some people earn in ten years.

7. Richie12:39pm Tuesday 20th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Ironic that it is 10 months...... Will be back for the Spring Carnival next year!!!!!

8. Kim12:34pm Tuesday 20th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Corruption is at its peak in Racing Victoria how this little germ got away without getting life only prooves how corrupt racing is.any other person in any other job would be sacked but not ollie he can come back and continue to rort yet again like he has for decades.

9. Ian H12:33pm Tuesday 20th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Jockeys should be made to bet on their own mount then we wouldn't be asking questions about whether they tried or not.

10. DOLLARS12:31pm Tuesday 20th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

how convenient. When I'm depressed and on the booze I always look to rort the system and cheat the industry I work in. What a load of #$%$!! Do you think it is the first time he has had a bet? Or the first time he has been caught?

Racing results & schedules

Results

Pinjarra (WA) - Sun, 13th April, 2014

Race 919:55 EST1400m

NSW SUPER UNI
horse-name Mossnip 11 Win 6.40 6.10 5.70
Place 3.50 3.50 3.00
horse-name Mo Gasur 1 Place 2.40 2.50 2.90
horse-name Zoetomtaya 10 Place

Schedule

There are no races scheduled for this day.