King Charles, 75, personally informed both of his sons, Prince William and Prince Harry, about his cancer
The Duke of Sussex, 39, will travel to London in the coming days to visit his father, PEOPLE understands. The palace revealed on Monday that the King, 75, is being treated for cancer.
PEOPLE understands that King Charles personally told his two sons, Prince William and Prince Harry, about his cancer diagnosis. The monarch also informed his three siblings — Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward — personally.
Prince Harry lives in California with his wife, Meghan Markle, and their two children, 4-year-old son Prince Archie and 2-year-old daughter Princess Lilibet. They relocated to the Duchess of Sussex's home state in 2020 after stepping back as working members of the royal family.
Last week, Prince Harry and Meghan announced they will visit Canada from Feb. 14 to Feb. 16 for the Invictus Games Vancouver Whistler 2025's One Year to Go celebrations. Over their three-day visit, the couple are expected to join members of the participating nations' Winter Training Camp, which provides an opportunity for members of the International Invictus Community, including team managers, coaches and competitors, to experience winter adaptive sports ahead of the Games next year.
Prince Harry, a former captain in the British Army, founded the international adaptive sports tournament for wounded, injured and sick service personnel and veterans in 2014.
King Charles' cancer diagnosis came shortly after he underwent a procedure to treat an enlarged prostate. However, the monarch does not have prostate cancer, the palace noted.
"During The King's recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted. Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer," the palace said in a statement revealed the news on Monday.
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties. Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual," they continued.
"The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible," the statement added. "His Majesty has chosen to share his diagnosis to prevent speculation and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer."
King Charles was last seen attending church on Sunday at St. Mary Magdalene Church near Sandringham with Queen Camilla. It marked the monarch's first outing since leaving the hospital on Jan. 29 following a three-day stay after his prostate procedure.
King Charles returned to London from Sandringham on Monday to commence treatment as an out-patient.
Can't get enough of PEOPLE's Royals coverage? Sign up for our free Royals newsletter to get the latest updates on Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle and more!
The monarch had stepped away from public duties amid his recovery from prostate surgery, and it's not known when he will return to royal engagements given his cancer diagnosis. PEOPLE understands he will continue to receive red boxes, the monarch's daily delivery of documents needing his attention, and process state documents during his treatment.
There are currently no plans to appoint Counsellors of State to act on King Charles' behalf.
For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!
Read the original article on People.