Prince Andrew ‘refusing to leave Windsor mansion’ and seeking talks with Charles
Prince Andrew is allegedly refusing to vacate his 30-room Royal Lodge home, according to reports.
King Charles has cut the £250,000 annual subsidy that Andrew received from the late Queen earlier this year.
It meant the Duke of York, 63, would struggle to afford the running costs of the Royal Lodge in Windsor although Andrew is “refusing to budge” from the property, sources have told the Mail on Sunday.
One friend said: “He is so fragile. He’s refusing to see anybody. This has been his family home for the past 20 years. Is it really sensible to kick him out?
“He’s concerned that now the Coronation is over, the knives are out. He’s worried that the Royals might even turn off the utilities to get him out of there. But we’re dealing with human beings, not real estate.”
It is believed that plans have been drawn up to allow the Prince of Wales and his family to move into the property.
Andrew is then expected to move to Frogmore Cottage – the former home of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.
Another source familiar with the situation said: “If Charles wants Andrew to play ball and help the family, aren’t there better ways of going about it? Why not do the decent thing, sit down and talk? If they need the house for William, perhaps Andrew should be told. Perhaps William should invite his uncle for tea and explain?
“Or why doesn’t Charles invite his brother for a meeting and ask him if he’d leave Royal Lodge to help his nephew and the future of the monarchy and agree a schedule acceptable to both sides?”
Andrew stepped away from public life after a controversial Newsnight interview in November 2019 and the furore over his friendship with paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein.
Virginia Giuffre sued Andrew for allegedly sexually assaulting her when she was 17 after she was trafficked by Epstein.
Andrew denied the claims but paid millions in an out-of-court settlement in the US civil case.
Buckingham Palace has been approached for comment.